Sinister: Shoulda taken one step further and I woulda been there...

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Tue May 25 15:31:40 BST 1999

You coulda turned around and hit me and I wouldn't've cared.

Ahh Eurovision shines like the light at the end of a particularly dark and
twisted tunnel.  Anyone who drinks and will be watching Eurovision should
probably go to:

http://www.cowgate.demon.co.uk/mit/drinking/eurovision.html

POP Fact:  this year's UK entry is written by Paul Varney of late-eighties
Bros-imitators Yell! (only hit a cover of 'Instant Replay').  I'm afraid I
cannot substantiate rumours about him being any relation to Reg Varney or
that I am the only person on the list who knows what I'm talking about.

Jake, Ailsa & Mark have been going on about bagpipes BUT without mentioning
Big Country, who spent their entire career making guitars sound like
bagpipes.

Sometimes I feel that I should have spent my youth listening to The Pastels
and Felt and The Smiths and Sarah things or even Augusto Pablo, rather than
Bruno Brookes and Simon Bates.  I *do* know a lot about music, but only top
twenty stuff, with a side line in nineties alt-pop and I'm sure I must be
missing out on loads of ace stuff, even though I can usually work out the
'mystery year' on Simon Mayo within two records.

Then I think, shouldn't I be using my (steadily depleting) brain cells for
something more important than the words to all the Number Ones for the last
twenty years (and all the words to all the songs played at indie discos for
the last ten years), and learn something important like brain surgery or
quantum physics or how to change the wheel on a car.  But then, I always do
well in pub quizzes, so it's not a complete waste (sigh).

Apols, happy mail next time
Further Apols for large amount of Anglo-centric/Euro-centric references

xoxo
CarsmileSteve

NB: Subject refers to the UK's 1982 entry (ie the year after we won with
Bucks Fizz) 'One Step Further' by Bardot.