Sinister: have you ever tried it that way?

John Koliopanos johnk at xxx.gr
Wed May 26 01:26:35 BST 1999

> Sarah mentions the legendary Jim Ruiz group.  i only recall one song by
> them, called "my Amsterdam" it was pretty groovy.

Sorry to nitpick LJ but that fab song's called "Mij Amsterdam" and was their
first (and only so far) 7" single, backed with the fantastic "Minneapolis" (the
band's hometown?), which, funnily enough, was the one there was a video (showing
the band in pijamas; Jim Ruiz cycling as well around Minneapolis. fun.) for.

Star, they went on to record two albums for Minty Fresh (www.mintyfresh.com),
Oh, Brother Where Art Thou and Sniff; the latter was also released by Siesta
Records (www.siesta.es) of Madrid. They're quite a wonder, a bit jazzy, a bit
exotic, a bit disco . . . nice pop group in general. Think a sort of cross
between the Monochrome Set (not surprisingly, they've covered "the Ruling
Class") and Astrud Gilberto. However, Jim's voice bugs me sometimes (his wife
Stephanie sings miles better in my humble opinion). Go figure. Night night,

 johnk, who persists in posting about other groups and can't wait for the Geri
Halliwell album (Schizophonic) to come out. Oh and who just swallowed a big
spoonful of coffee (yuck!) in order to stay awake and study (ahem).
Zzzzzzz......