Sinister: In a big country, dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice on a mountainside....(or something)

Alasdair Cook MS1996 acook at xxx.uk
Wed May 26 15:08:36 BST 1999

Didn't Big Country do the music for the old McEwans lager adverts? The
one that Ricky Fulton did on Scotch & Wry. Oh dear, too many Scottish
references, must stop. Sorry.

Bagpipes, eh? My aunt, who's Scottish but lives in the low land of
Belgique has a neighbour who until last year had never ever been to
Scotland but was a complete nutter obsessive about it, and dreamed of
retiring here in a small cottage.

My aunt tried to tell him that it rains all the time and is freezing
cold and produces hard shagging dastardly cads like Mcgregor and "Sorry,
no tax please, we're Scottish" Connery, but none of this was enough to
persuade him, and so he decided to cement his love by learning to play
the bagpipes. So when we went over last year to visit we were greeted by
him, and he wasn't bad at all. He even serenaded us with Flower Of
Scotland and cunningly finished just as we were leaving the house, so we
felt obliged to clap and smile in his general direction.

Strangely enough the entire family across the road are deaf, though they
may have just been pretending so they didn't have to say they thought he
was rubbish. But I thought he was quite nice, in a weird sort of way.
Anyway I don't mind bagpipes really very much. I could have just said
that at the start, couldn't I?

Yesterday was a strange one. Had my last exam then felt vaguely flat and
depressed. Got a phone call from my little crush person, her first words
being "Hi Ally baby", which cheered me up immediately. Had a hankering
for Godspeed... then realized I'd given it to a mate. Listened to B&S
and St Etienne instead and felt kind of OK.

Hmmm, what a strangely depressing though in parts uplifting last
paragraph. I apologize.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as can be bothered to turn up
on saturday in the official UK City Of Architecture And Design 1999.
(Not as good as City Of Culture 1990, but things'll never be THAT good
again, will they?) That is if I can use my powers of persuasion and get
someone to swap shifts with me at work. Should be easy enough, as
they're all idiots with no social life. No, hang on, that's me isn't it?

Bye-bye babies (babies bye-bye)

Alasdair xx