Sinister: Mornington Crescent

Mike Newman mike at xxx.uk
Wed May 26 20:59:45 BST 1999

Adam Chapman wrote:

> However, i live in Yeovil, Somerset [ best known, if at all for producing
> helicopters, one of which is buzzing over as i type, a marginally famous non
> league soccer team [now sadly sans its sloping  pitch], and home for a while
> to one Ian Botham. It is something of a musical desert though, b+s cds are
> thankfully plentiful if expensive. The same can't be said for fans though.

As a fellow Somerset-dweller, I remember once seeing Heavenly in Yeovil
(admittedly on the "Crap Towns" tour). It was a bit of a novelty though, and
everyone from age 12 upwards had turned out, making it feel like your cousin's
wedding or something (kids running around and sliding across the dancefloor in
their best frocks etc.). I half expected to find a table full of pork pies and
sausage rolls at one end of the room.

Matt from Sarah Records looked genuinely scared throughout, and ended up
standing next to me and my pal from Burnham-on-Sea nursing a pint of lager and
fidgeting like crazy.

Later, there were lots of fights outside kebab shops, but I understand this
happens a lot in Yeovil.

Wasn't PJ Harvey and her band a local too?

Mike (in Weston-super-Mare)

--
Sent by: Mike Newman <mike at gtnorthern.demon.co.uk>
Fax: +44 870 0567643 : ICQ UIN 3533902