Sinister: 70s Who and Major/Minor Progs

Blake E Hamilton hamibe02 at xxx.edu
Wed May 26 22:13:18 BST 1999

Dears!

I actually have agendas to address this great great afternoon....just
getting home from work at PJ's deli on the beach here on this beautiful
barrier island has got my lanky fingers itching for some thoughts to
translate...

Allen thus spake:
*For all you musically-inclined types, I was
wondering if I was the only one who hears a major->minor chord progression
in LLPJ.  It's at the part of the melody which goes "...time, when you are
free from all the trouble you're in..."  I'm asking because I always thought
it interesting that the chords there were Bbm->Ebm but it SOUNDS like the
melody sung is on top of a major->minor chord.*

You're right!  I just ran all the way over to the other side of the room and
got my copy of LLPJ and am currently finishing it out loudly with a
dramatic, wholesome, and ear throbbing design.  A design delegated by the
spirit.  Anyways, yes, yes yes, it is a major/minor progression vocally over
the B&S typical root/dominant chord progression.  Rightly so, Pulp is the
one band that does come to mind that makes use of said procedure
diabolically.  Of course they have somewhere around 35 instruments, synths,
and triangles all doing this progression, so it's a bit more intense, but
songs like Underwear and Lipgloss come to mind instantly.  Go on, listen to
them, with Underwear it's the bit that goes "and close the curtains, cus
you're not going anywhere" is a D-->Dm progression, and with Lipgloss it's
located at the end of the chorus, "turn him on, there's something wrong, you
had it once but now it's gone".  That's an F-->Fm kiddies.  Go, teach
yourself the wonders of
P!O!P.  It's all educational.

Martin then pooted:
*Then it got worse
and this Prog rock nonsense came on and I started thinking oh my god what
did the Who do, and wishing they'd all died before they got old and stuff.
Then I found out it was actually Rush. It was an easy mistake to make
though.*

Ok this really really hurt little ol Blakie.  Rush, and The Who?!  That's
like comparing B&S and Don Henley for God's sake.  (no offense to Eagles
fans, but hey, I consider them fake, and I don't want hate mail, please)  I
can't say I appreciated said comment, but upon my frequent reflection on The
Who, sometimes I do think they should have stopped before It's Hard, and
maybe even Face Dances.  Bu...er....what am I saying?  I love anything
anyone from The Who has ever done and my WHO related cd collection is now
over 60 separate cds.  Ok I'm obsessed.  Cheers to Sister Disco for
mentioning my dear friend Rabbit.  He never got the credit he deserved for
backing up the 'OO in 79, 80 and 81 (and 96/97 for those who, like The Who,
are always on top of everything).

I'd just like to comment additionally that you lot have been spitting out
some adorable posts in the past few days and have all given me a reason to
come home quickly and gaze at a pixelated mess, anxious for more.

Love,
blake

"Fuck!" - Jarvis Cocker