Sinister:nwmeet-up,zines,pets,parents,&books

COURTOLY at xxx.com COURTOLY at xxx.com
Thu May 27 05:17:39 BST 1999

Dahlings
I'm assisting Elle with the Northwest USA Meet-up on June 27th. If you
haven't contacted either of us yet please do so. I'll have invitations with
the place and information soon.

>uh oh, jessicaxo, there comes competition... do you have a homepage
>yet, Courtney?

No homepage yet but if you want to see the tatoo I sent the photo to Honey to
be added to the sinister photo page. I haven't had time to scan the mud
wrestling photos...and what are we in competition for?

> Anyone else maimed their parents?

Yes. I used to fight with my parents every day. My dad was chasing me around
the house and at the time my bed was in the livingroom while they were
repainting my bedroom. He chased me there and I ended up on my back with him
hovering over me. I kicked him in the chest and he had to be rushed to the
hospital. They took an x-ray and he called home and told me I broke his ribs.

That was a lie. What a way to make a little girl cry, my mom told me the
truth. I hadn't broken his ribs, the doctor said they were already broken and
had been re-snapped. Turns out the baffoon had been in the Hard Rock Cafe a
week before during a business trip, had slipped on a toothpick, fallen over a
chair, and broken two ribs that way. His friends who were there confirmed
this, but he didn't want anyone to know about his fall and he hadn't gone to
the hospital. They were healing just fine when I kicked them back out of
place.

I had a sad day. I started a zine library here two years ago and we have
thousands of zines for people to read in this nice coffee shop. Well, the
coffee shop is closing Monday which leaves the zines homeless. They are in my
trust so for now they will sleep in my garage, but I need to find a studio
space or someplace to put them. And if any of you lovely folks have zines you
make or zines you want to donate: 120 State Ave NE #1206 Olympia WA 98501 USA
is the mailbox address. I might have an intern this summer to help get
nonprofit status for the zine library, and I'm hoping to move it into a real
library or get lots of grant money to put it in its own home after that
happens.

>If anyone has ever seen a guinea pig that is not in a school or in a
>pen with a rabbit, could you let me know? I'd like to put it in my
>I Spy book of pets - they're very rare, you know.

I had a guinea pig named Snaggle Doodles after the Patricia Rilley Giff book
from the Kids of the Polk Street School series. It lived at my house for
three months but we were too allergic to keep her. I gave her to the
kindergarden class at my nursery school and she lived there for seven years.
So she wasn't in school for a bit.

Are there any fans of Francesca Lia Block here? I think her books are lovely.
They're supposed to be for Young Adults which means they are a quick read,
but the prose is wonderful. Here is a sexy bit from her latest book "I Was A
Teenage Fairy":

In Todd's house Barbie and Todd were flying horizontally in front of the
fireplace, their mouths tearing carnivorously, practically cannibalistically,
at each other even though one of them was a vegan and the other had given up
red meat.

and a sad bit...

Griffin took a swig frm the bottle of J.D. He lit the bong and had a hit. The
ugly mushroom-colored, slack-lipped, balding ghots kept spinning around
inside of him, no matter how much alcohol or smoke he used to drive them out.

So the books deal with a lot of issues about AIDS and art and incest and
fairytales and Los Angeles...just lovely.

Kisses,
Courtney B