Sinister: Useless bloody musicians

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Thu May 27 12:55:06 BST 1999

I sorry people but I'm afriad I'm about to rant.

Carsmile are (for the forseeable future) no more, due to the pigheaded
niavity of my bassplayer who insists the only way to 'make it' is to move to
London NOW, even though we have no contacts or leads or anything and we've
only been going a year, and we are *so* not ready to be signed (even though
I loved what we were doing, I wouldn't have signed us).

And the whole concept of 'making it' it driving me up the wall.  They seem
to be fixed in some 'Shed Seven/Bluetones/Britpop' tunnel vision, where a
record deal  will change their lives for the better and solve all their
worries and is the only possible solution to their problem.

All I want is to make vibrant, exciting art and let as many people as
possible hear it and I really don't think that moving to smelly old London
on a wing and a prayer would get me any nearer that goal.  No bloody staying
power these youngsters, they want it all straight away.

Ahh, that's better.

According to my sources the Inspector Gadget cat was indeed called Madcat,
and the Dog on Happy days was called Mr something-or other, and went
'ray-ronzie' and did that thing with his thumbs like Fonzie.  Hold on, dogs
don't have thumbs.  Maybe it was Mr Cool, but I think I might be dreaming
that.

Now that I am a solo singer (I can't write music, I only do the words) the
whole Stars in their Arse thing is looking like a reasonable idea.  How do
you think Mark E Smith (who I apparently look like) would go down with the
grannies (oh what a horrible thought).

And enough of this Latin business.  It always really pissed me off in
Asterix Books when that old geezer said something in Latin, cos I felt I was
missing a joke.

xoxo
Carsmile(hah!)Steve