Sinister: Do as I do and scrap your fey ways

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Thu May 27 18:11:09 BST 1999

Looming Martin stuck at the end of post:

"If you want me look me up
I don't exist in usual places
Subtle as the wind is grey."

And I hereby start a Belle and Sebastian related thread. Actually, that's a bit
of a presumption on my part - other people need to reply in order for it to be a
'thread', don't they?  And after that unreleased lyrics fiasco of last week I'm
not sure I should have any confidence on that score.  Oops, I'm playing the fey
and vulnerable again card again - sorry.  Incidentally, did you know if you look
up 'fey' in a lot of dictionaries it doesn't give the meaning we all think it
has at all, but only something about malevolent irish sprites.

ANYWAY (I seem to be turning into Ronnie Corbett.  Once again I apologise to the
international community) what I was going to say was that this particular lyric
has puzzled me for a while.  I know it sounds nice and everything, but as I said
to my flatmate "Is this a really poetic image that I can't understand or just a
load of old guff?"  He plumped for the guff option, but I wonder if anyone else
is prepared to elaborate on what Stuart might mean by claiming to be subtle as
the wind is grey.  Is wind grey?  Is Stuart subtle?  Or maybe he knows wind
isn't grey at all and that's the point.

Also, if anyone has any idea what on earth Lazy Line Painter Jane is about that
would be good to hear.  I'm not interested in Mark Cassaroto's filthy theory, by
the way.

Ignore all this if you find even the lightest of ANALysis dull and it reminds
you of school or whatever.  I only say this because people have moaned before.

Nick xx