Sinister: Is Happiness Real? Or Am I So Jaded? Uh-Uh-Uh-Uh-Uh!

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu May 27 20:38:13 BST 1999

No discussion of bagpipes in pop would be complete without a lengthy
dissection of this fine old instrument's role in Mike Oldfield's epic
debut album "Tubular Bells", which features narration by Viv
Stanshall, who (as Blake knows) was a great mate of Keith Moon of The
WHO.

I think that what happened to The WHO in the seventies is this:

1) Recording technology became more and more advanced, making Moon's
drums sound like the Mighty Thor.
2) Synthesizers came in, alienating many fans, who associated them
with ELP, despite their fantasticness.
3) The WHO's lyrics changed from a Saturday night "rev-me-up" feel to
more of a Monday night gloominess. I believe this was due to heroin,
which makes you feel like you've got an enormous pile of ironing to
do.
4) Everyone felt the need to keep up with Led Zeppelin, so big
bombastic guitars were in, as were extended blues boogie work-outs.
Hardly P!O!P! art.
5) The WHO spent most of the seventies in America, especially at
Tanglewood Music Shed.
6) Few people have ever forgiven The WHO for inventing rock operas,
now the exclusive preserve of Marillion fans. He knows, you know...
7) Pete discovered the seventies version of The Teletubbies, and went
all mystical, a bit like David Icke.
8) Roger's acting career took off, eventually culminating in "Buddy's
Song".
9) John Entwistle's gonna buy a tank and an AERoplane!
10) They called an album "Dot to Dot with the WHO"

I think that's all. I answered some questions about teddy bears and
tennis earlier, but I deleted them because they weren't about The WHO.
I'm looking forward to Keith's 70s WHO quiz. Keith has got FOUR
MASSIVE SPEAKERS, according to his excellent website. How many have
you got, Blake?

And I think my description of Manchester United was spot on.

Sister Disco