Sinister: Do as I do and scrap your fey ways

Marie Elia littlearsonist at xxx.com
Thu May 27 21:03:58 BST 1999

Nick.Dastoor wrote:

>Is wind grey?  Is Stuart subtle? Or maybe he knows >wind isn't grey at
all and that's the point.

>Also, if anyone has any idea what on earth Lazy Line
>Painter Jane is about that would be good to hear.  >I'm not interested
in Mark Cassaroto's filthy theory, >by the way.

simplethings is my Favourite b&s song, and i also often consider these
lines and what they could mean.  on the one hand, you just got to
appreciate their beauty.  but on the other hand, i don't know what
scotland is like, and not to be a presumptuous and stupid american, but
when i was in england, the sky was always a lovely shade of slate grey
(i'm not being facetious; i really do love a grey sky).  so i always
think of wind being grey in england.  that works for me...

as far as LLPJ goes, i was actually thinking (while i was driving for 8
hours from pittsburgh to newyork (don't fall asleep...) the other day)
what the song could be about.  not to be smutty, b/c i know how smut is
absolutely unacceptable and unwanted on this list, but it occurred to
me that it could be about a prostitute.  well, reading the liner notes,
no.  but come on:  "a dose of thrush you got when licking railings"
"in the mud on yr knees trying hard not to please"  "you know a girl
who's taxfree on her back"   "you'll have a boy tonight..."     i don't
know -- seems entirely possible.

listening to Dressy Bessy right now -- lovely poppy
la-la-la stuff.  the word bubblegum comes to mind...

xoxo,
marie