Sinister: The words that I deliver

Natasha Rachel lyricjunkie at xxx.com
Thu May 27 22:08:39 BST 1999

Hello luvvies.

Nick made the unprecedented and frankly shocking
move of bringing up that belle & sebastian band.

"Subtle as the wind is grey".  Days in general,
and not so much the wind, are what you could
often describe as grey.  I shouldn't really do
what I'm about to, as it might make me sound all
arty litterrati, but I'm trying to make a point,
alright.  In A Portrait of the Artist as a Young
Man, James Joyce is always banging on about how
the air was grey during his schooldays, and I
remember it cuz it paints an evocative atmosphere
without trying very hard at all.

I think the fact that you have to look at the
wind in a certain frame of mind to be able to
say, Well yes, it *is* grey, is part of Simple
Things.  Struan saying that "IF you want me, I'll
be there... to deal with all your problems" fits
in with his presence being subtle, and something
you have to search to find, and look at in a
certain way to realise what you've got.  He's
letting the girl (or even us fans) know that he
feels something strong, but he's not being pushy
or overbearing about it, which might scare her
off.

Saying he does feel strongly about her, but will
only act on his feelings if she wants it too, is
so much more mature and secure than declaring
undying love and expecting the girl to go all
gooey and pledge hers in return, just because he
has.  I know some boys/men think this is an
effective way to win the object of what they
imagine is their love, but from experience,
personally it freaks me out and makes me feel
guilty, like I owe said boy something, especially
if the attraction traffic isn't flowing both
ways.

I might be reading far more into Simple Things
than Struan intended there to be, but if the song
is capable of taking on a life of its own after
leaving his pretty tonsils, then that's one hell
of a compliment to the band's song writing
abilities.

That round of applause for being almost entirely
ON topic.  I'll take it with fries to go please.

Natasha xx

(who also finds a million other things that just
have to be done crop up when she's supposed to be
revising)

"One can be just as attached to futilities as to
anything else."