Sinister: some girls are bigger than others

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Fri May 28 06:37:46 BST 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, jessica wrote:
> oh, in 'seeing other people' there's the bit that goes
> "if they don't see the quality then it is apparent that you're going to have
> to change", like she knows she's good and she knows she can use it to her
> advantage. or he, actually, because gender's not established

What I get from this song is a story of early experimentation with
homosexuality of someone closeted and in denial.  He may have sold
(rented?) his body at least once, not necessarily in a simple cash
transaction though. It could be two females, but it mentions "other boys".
The part about knowing where to put it is just a little easier to explain
with males.

The specific line you mention -- It sounds to me like the narrator and
this guy have found themselves in some kind of relationship.  It also
seems like the narrator thinks the relationship is something more than
probably either of them really care to admit. Maybe this guy can't get
"the other boys".  The "new, tell, elegant, rich kids" they go for may be
mostly girls...the ones he might be better off going with.

The song is ambiguous though, so you can trace a coherent thread in many
different ways.

--Mark

__ Burning Rome : SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14
   < http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome > < MP3 & RealAudio tracks >