Sinister: Cracknell by name, Cracknell by nature

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Fri May 28 09:29:22 BST 1999

I am writing to you today as I am a GOOD boy and in work far too early, so I
don't have to feel guilty. I will, though <sigh>...

Sorry Mr D, but my theory about LLPJ is *not* filthy, it's a profound
comment on the weight of society and expectation on the vulnerable. To recap
(1,000 groans reverberate metaphorically around the list - I like to see the
list as some kind of spooky-dooky Tolkien-esque scroll somewhere, in a cave
probably, with gothic characters written by spectral monks, but moving on
swiftly), I reckon that Jane is just a Girl Who Can't Say No, whose only way
of gaining emotional reassurance and acceptance is to sleep with anyone who
wants her, or rather, a cold and emotionless shag. Therefore, "in the mud,
on her knees" (obvious), "anyone, all the time" (ditto) "you know a girl
who's tax free on her back.....while you are working for the joy of giving"
(this is the line that shows she's not a prostitute, just a keen amateur
:)).

Jane also manages to pick up thrush while (this is the more, erm, tenuous
part) leaning over and holding onto railings while being, um, taken from
behind - the licking is the only thing she can do as she is very much the
passive partner in the act, and it's a cold, pleasureless thing to do, but
she still feels she should do it. Whether the thrush comes from the dirty
railings or her dirty lover, who knows...and obviously she doesn't want her
mum to know about her habits, but is still young and scared at the nasty
infestation she's picked up, so she agonises about whether to confess.

Buggered if I can work out what the line-painting's about, though - I reckon
that LLPJ and It could have been...both feature the line-painting concept as
Stuart thinks it's quite enigmatic and in keeping with the off-kilter
characters that populate his songs. I'd love to know if there was more to it
than that.

Onto bigger and better things...poor Sarah Cracknell, locked up with
Silverfish, of all people. I bet their atonal sludge-heavy racket is right
royally pissing you off, though their cover of "Jolene" must make you smile
on rainy Wednesdays. In fact, my knackered (make that "well-loved")
Silverfish t-shirt has been responsible for some key moments in my life - I
met my ex-girlfriend wearing it - for some reason she thought I must be cool
(!?); and I got stopped by the police in it (they thought me and my mate
were IRA terrorists, searched us, and then noted with delight that I was
wearing the word "fuck" - though despite me getting lippy with them, I still
managed to avoid arrest. hey ho).

There was a famous piece in one of the music press a few years ago about
Sarah Cracknell clambering over the fence at a pop festival while not
wearing any knickers. I'll just leave you with that image for a moment.

Anyway, the Camden Lurch - those were the days - no, really! If anyone would
like to swap fond memories of Th' Faith Healers, please write - I'm a lonely
soul these days...

Why not name your new pets after your favourite listee? An outbreak of
hamsters, iguanas and tarantulas called Ailsa Ross can only be a good
thing...

I actually though that Nick *was* Ronnie Corbett for a bit (the resemblance
is quite strong in real life too) - he's on the list, obviously, but calls
himself PJ Miller. Which explains a lot.

That is quite enough, Casarotto. Just time to say check out
http://www.belleandsebastian.co.uk/cgi-bin/mboard/belle/thread.cgi?215,0
and make sure you bloody come, the whole lot of you!

Big fat Mark xxxxx