Sinister: My Defense of The Who

Blake E Hamilton hamibe02 at xxx.edu
Fri May 28 18:41:14 BST 1999

Well, there have been some courageous things said about the good ol Who
these past few days.  Most have been in a vain attempt to disregard the
Who's 70's contributions as 'senseless arena rock drivel'.  Or something
like that.
Well, though 'i'm one' (name the album, freaks) with Sister Disco's love,
I'm going to answer his laundry lists of things that happened with the Who
in the 70s.  Why, because I'm bored.  No harm is meant towards Sister Disco
or the many small furry animals grooving together with a pict or whatever.

Sister Disco thus spake:
1) Recording technology became more and more advanced, making Moon's
drums sound like the Mighty Thor.

I say:
Moons drums always sounded like the Mighty Thor, especially with 1978's
chart buckling "Who Are You" LP.  It was in 1977 when he first bought some
electronic drums (whatever that means, someone help).  They did sound like
shotgun blasts, hopefully not at me

Sister Disco thus spake:
2) Synthesizers came in, alienating many fans, who associated them
with ELP, despite their fantasticness.

I say:
The Who's use of the synth is widely blown out of proportion.  On 1971's
"Who's Next" the only synths used (aside from Going Mobile and The Song is
Over) are looped classics such as Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again.
Hey those synths are nice, exciting, fruitful, and the like.  1973's
Quadrophenia used a bit more synth, including those electronic strings heard
on Love Reign O'er Me and all that.  It actually adds quite a lot to the
album, and once again, the real usage of these are never as the primary
instrument, unlike Yes, et al.

Sister Disco thus spake:
3) The WHO's lyrics changed from a Saturday night "rev-me-up" feel to
more of a Monday night gloominess. I believe this was due to heroin,
which makes you feel like you've got an enormous pile of ironing to
do.

I say:
The Sis is sort of right, though I'm not sure I Can See for Miles is
'rev-me-up'.  Nor is My Generation, I Can't Explain.  All are about
uneasiness with one's self, and the inability to gauge how one should feel.
It's a theme that would later unravel with The Who By Numbers and
Quadrophenia.  Both are pure religious awakenings in the field of teen
angst.  (and the music's delightful to boot)

Sister Disco:
4) Everyone felt the need to keep up with Led Zeppelin, so big
bombastic guitars were in, as were extended blues boogie work-outs.
Hardly P!O!P! art.

I say:
Actually--Led Zeppelin modeled themselves after The Who.  Roger Daltrey had
the "i'm a hunk" look at least two years before Robert "I'm way too skinny"
Plant (don't get me wrong, I'm skinny) decided to act upon it.  John
Entwistle, bass player for the Who, actually came up with the name Led
Zeppelin.  Figures.

Sister Disco thusly speaks prophetically:
5) The WHO spent most of the seventies in America, especially at
Tanglewood Music Shed.

I say:
Actually they spent it at Charlton.  Damn rain.

Sister Disco feels it worthy to whisper:
6) Few people have ever forgiven The WHO for inventing rock operas,
now the exclusive preserve of Marillion fans. He knows, you know...

I say:
I forgive them.  Marillion, well I just don't buy it...

Sista Funk says:
7) Pete discovered the seventies version of The Teletubbies, and went
all mystical, a bit like David Icke.

I say:
Actually, Pete went mystical in the late 60s.  That's where all the 60s Who
comes from.  Tommy, Sell Out, you got it.

One of the best tracks off of Who Are You chimes in and says:
8) Roger's acting career took off, eventually culminating in "Buddy's
Song".

I proclaim:
Roger is actually a very good actor.  I believe he is in some movie starring
somebody famous this year.  He was in a Tales From the Crypt on the late 80s
when his body fell apart after catching some rare African flesh eating
disease via a letter.

Cus he really wants to know:
9) John Entwistle's gonna buy a tank and an AERoplane!

I say:
And a big boat with flashy harpoons all over it.  I've seen it.

When he catches up with me won't be no time to explain:
10) They called an album "Dot to Dot with the WHO"

I say:
You ever try to connect these dots?  It doesn't work.  John's a good artist.
Don't go into children's books, Ox.

And to your clubs and your tramps...
blake
"Fuck!" - Jarvis Cocker