Sinister: franny and zooey

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Sat May 29 06:54:47 BST 1999

I don't know about it being better than Catcher, but it is surely a
worthwhile, enjoyable read.  Franny is quite interesting but not altogether a
great story, but Zooey is fantastic.  They're not as immediately engaging and
intimate as Catcher, so maybe you can't really compare them, plus they're
written in the third person whereas I always felt Salinger worked best in
first person.
If you really want to read a great work of Salinger's, I always liked "Raise
High the Roof Beam Carpenters," I thought that was almost on par with
Catcher.  It was written alot like Catcher only without any smut and with a
well-to-do army man as the protagonist rather than a disaffected teen.  It's
the part of the Glass legacy dealing with Seymour's wedding, which I guess
would place it as first in the series.
I hope this helps and I must say it quite enjoyable being able to finally
discuss old J.D. with so many people as he has always been a fave.  I look
forward to other people's interpretations of F&Z

Steve

PS- Isobel really digs F&Z for whatever thats worth.  She seems much smarter
than I so maybe you should take her word for it.