Sinister: Slap me on the patio

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Sun May 30 10:37:47 BST 1999

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Jordi Trenzano i Vilar wrote:

> I suppose that all of us, the members of the old continent, have
> watched the Eurovision contest. I´ve tried to vote for Bosnia, but I
> couldn´t. Are there any sinister people organising a voting for our
> own winners ?  I´m off to see the official voting.

Indeed, like many others I watched quite a bit of Eurovision this year
(well, it's an excuse not to spend the evening revising for tomorrow's
exam). I must say I was very disappointed by the low number of absolutely
dismal records this year, some countries seem to be actually taking it
seriously.

For the non-Europeans amongst us, it was won by Sweden with a blatant Abba
rip-off song. And Spain came last, probably because of the awful dress
their singer was wearing (sort of like a rainbow, with a red heart poking
out from the top; if they'd cut it up later they could have made
Skittles). This year I had the added bonus of being able to watch it with
subtitles, and find out what the lyrics were; our favourite was the
Turkish entry with "I, with a torch in my ear, like a lullaby". Answers on
a pstcard please...

Lots of Sinisterines will be down in London this afternoon enjoying a
picnic, and I'm slogging away revising, I'm jealous...

Big Stu