Sinister: The J.D. Salinger multi media experience

Brandt S. Fundak bfundak at xxx.edu
Sun May 30 17:24:01 BST 1999

Someone was speaking about Salinger films.  Let's not forget that classic
of American film starring J. D.'s son, Matt, "Captain America."  This movie
is worse than those live action Spider Man films from the 70s.  Actually, I
was looking on IMDB and noticed that Matt made his film debut in Revenge of
the Nerds.  I wonder if his relationship with J. D. had anything to do with
his budding film career.  It's kind of ironic that J. D.'s son would use
his priveledge to advance his own agenda, kind of like Holden Caulfield
does throughout The Catcher in the Rye.

I think this is my major problem with Salinger.  I remember reading once
that Winona Ryder said that she carries a copy of Catcher in the Rye
wherever she goes.  Dennis Miller called his kid Holden.  This book has had
an effect on cultural consciousness and yet everybody has missed the point.
 We aren't supposed to relate to Holden Caulfield or admire him.  He's as
fake and phony as everyone he rips for being fake and phony in his
narrative.  If you think about it, when these big stars talk about Salinger
they sound just like Holden Caulfield. Kind of funny.

Then again, maybe that isn't so much a problem I have with Salinger than
the problems I have with the majority of his readers...

Brandt

"Animals crap on our floors and WE pick it up! What, did we lose a war or
something?"

						--Homer Simpson