Sinister: A bit on J.D. Salinger

sam sam at xxx.net
Sun May 30 21:58:25 BST 1999

Well, I suppose there are four published J.D. Salinger books: 'Catcher in
the Rye', 'Franny & Zooey', 'Nine Stories' and 'Seymour an introduction &
raise high the roof beam, carpenters'--which is, if I remember right, a
short bit introducing Seymour Glass from 'A perfect day for bananafish'
and then a lot of stuff about the Glass family. I could have this all
mixed up--I haven't read these since jr high. Anyway, everyone probably
already knows. Oh, and there are stolen J.D. Salinger stories here &
there,
I guess.. 'unofficial' ones, ones that he didn't want published. I've
only heard of them, though--& never seen.

Oh, and Brandt's absolutely right about Holden being the 'phony' & what--
not as though I need to reaffirm it.

I have vague, vague memories about reading a J.D. Salinger poem, called
'The Sacred Forest' or something along that line. It was intended as a
response to 'The Wasteland', though it wasn't very good--'The Underground
Forest' maybe? I don't remember where I read it, I'm probably all muddled
up.. This underground forest symbolized, don't know what--the secret
vitality of culture? Anyway, he was very critical of T.S. Eliot--

I could be all wrong, though. Someone else altogether could've written
that.

--Samuel