Sinister: Re: Caulfield and Prozac?

Essexdog5 at xxx.com Essexdog5 at xxx.com
Mon May 31 01:30:00 BST 1999

Interesting argument re: supression of the wider worldview via sedation (at
least, that's the way I read it - forgive me if my interpretation appears
glib). I suspect that in 'reality', Holden would have been sent to EST (or
whatever the acronym is that Lou Reed went through - ECT? ETC? ET AL?).
Holden in the '90s.... Lithium, I'd have thought, as opposed to Prozac.

I did the doc administered anti-depressant thing and psychoanalysis too when
I was about 17, and personally I think it helped. It certainly didn't stifle
creativity. Having said that, my father still blames my depressive 'episodes'
on having listened to too much Smiths. I think he blames my sexuality on that
too. <g>. Nice poovetahsexual strand on the list, btw. Sorry, I know this is
neither a Manics mailing list nor a Mail-A-Confessional service, so let's
move on....

1) The song in the B&S documentary ("You were always the queen of the disco -
you're the Kellogs to my Nabisco" - sounds a tad like London Has Let Me Down
Again)..... is this Rhoda?? Anyone?

2) Just seen Notting Hill. Slightly smilesome/feelgood, but ultimately vapid.
And overridingly irritating. Now there's a shock. As for Costello's cover of
Aznovaur's She - did he have to?

3) Re-read Franny & Zooey today. Salinger is very negative, innit? (LOL). Has
anyone seen the film of Cocteau's Les Enfants Terrible? (possibly my
favourite book along with The Secret History and various Auster 'tomes'). If
so, should I seek it out, or will it kill my love of the novel?

4) I'm working on a new B&S convert - a fashion journalist/designer/stylist
friend of mine who admired my Stow tee. I sold 'em too him as being kinda
Simon & Garfunkel (well, he likes S&G). He's very prone to hearing music and
saying "That would be GREAT for a catwalk show"... so if B&S pop up in Milan
in three seasons time, it's probably my fault. Apologies in advance...

Pip pip!
Stephen.