Sinister: Franny or Claire

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Mon May 31 11:17:08 BST 1999

Hey!

What's up in this list while I am attending Eurovision parties and forced
to support the embarrasing Norwegian entrance.I wanted Iceland to win,
Giita, but Swedish riding-lover PlasticWoman managed to fool all the
letchy middle-aged gentlemen across the continent.Fortunately, because of
our lottery system to choose randomly the country you had to support
during the party I could avoid to show any sympathy about the Spanish
singer who was even more embarrasing than the Norwegian choice. And she
ended in last position...!

I mean , 107 messages , how can I cope with the different threads flowing
here and there and try to follow people's proposals? But I have just
managed to read quickly about the Franny&Zoey one, and for once, there
will be an original piece of information to be contributed from here.

Franny's real model was JD Salinger's second wife, Claire (he got married
in France during the War,but that is a quite unknown fact).He wrote the
novel while his affair with Claire was taking shape. JD was about 38 I
believe when they met and Claire was 19 or 20. She was engaged to a
Harvard graduate, who is obviously that totally stuffy and narrow-minded
Franny's boyfriend at the beginning of the tale.Claire finally married
this bloke but quit him not very long after, to go and live with JD. Her
marriage seems to be only a sort of pause in her relation with our man.
I don't know how Claire's fiance was in real life, but to be portraited in
a book as that tosser is one of the worst revenges from a rejected
pretender I can remember in human history.

 I will continue reading all your messages before posting any more
disconnected nonsenses. What about that Greenwich picnic? Hope your
Londoner weather is more understandable than ours.Here a sort of
tropicalia micro-clime has developed lately, and we have hot, humid
mornings and thunderstorms in afternoons.

Love,love,love

Arantxa