Sinister: The New Wave of Nouvelle Vague

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 1 13:39:35 GMT 1999

Good morning, sausage jockeys!

May I suggest that Sinister adopts Keith as its official Scottish non-league
football team? The tousled club entrepeneur drew 1-1 with Forres Mechanics
this weekend: a very creditable performance.

Aran-cha-cha-cha asked about the links between Nouvelle Vague cinema and
Belle and Sebastian. This is an underappreciated area of cultural inquiry.
How many of you knew, for example, that Chris Geddes was "best boy" on
Godard's  "Les Topographies de Tristesse Indie-Schmindie" (1987), a
provocative and insightful analysis of the lives of Cure fans in Marseilles?
The film also featured one Leo Carax on key grip. Furthermore, it is
understood that since attending the recording of the Black Sessions, Eric
Rohmer has become obsessed with Isobel Campbell, saying that her
"insouciance et vapidité écossaise sont parfait pour mes films". At one
point, the Gallic auteur took to stalking the Jean-Seberg-de-nos-jours
through Kelvingrove Park, and gave her poor Afghan hound, Waldo, quite a
fright. He is now subject to a restraining order. Finally, no discussion of
the subject is complete without a mention of Stuart David's time at the
Ecole Superior at the Sorbonne (1992-3) where he was often to be found
entertaining fellow students with his controversial theories on 'cinema
discrepant', which held that the future of the medium lay in super 8 home
movies of squirrels and lickle clay models. His essay "Give me tweedom or
give me death" appeared in the May 1992 issue of Cahiers du Cinema.

Re: "Hurley's having dreams" - is the line 'Hurley dreams of the time when
he was a horse in Czechoslavakia' a reference to "Closely Observed Trains",
the Czech new wave adaptation of Bohumil Hrabal's novel? I dunno. Maybe
there is something on the excellent B&S Reference Fox webpage (I can't
remember the URL, but there's a link at Sinister central).

Why does nobody talk about The Remote Viewer on this list? I was asking
about them at the Rough Trade shop last week, and rarely have I seen the
sales assistant so animated. Such was his enthusiasm that I bought their lp,
and I am pleased to report that it has usurped Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe
Express" as my bedtime record of choice. I especially like the track that
sounds like the Aphex Twin navigating a barge through the Bush of Ghosts,
and discovering a Robot Elephant graveyard. If you know what I mean. I even
like the one that has a drum sound that sounds a bit like "People are
People" by Depeche Mode. Mr Messent, I doff my cap to you.

According to last week's Melody Maker, there is a track recorded for the new
B&S lp called "Winter Whiskey". How we laughed.

It looks like there will be a social at the Poetry Café this Friday, bands
still TBC, but it seems possible that those spangly jangle-merchants The
Foxgloves will be making an appearance. More details will appear on the
Cheapster message board,  no doubt.

As you were

Stevie Troussé