Sinister: GYBE & Iain Banks

William Hayes W.M.Hayes at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 1 15:37:29 GMT 1999

There's not really any relation between the two but they are bpthe things I
have been enjoying recently.

I bought Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada last week, the Godspeed You Black
Emperor record, and while £10 is a lot for a two track EP it was still
worth it. Mark Niciu has already sung praise to them on this list but he
forgot to mention the vinyl at least has a great cover, mat grey card with
gold foil stamp, it's lovely. That's one of the main reasons I usually only
buy proper records. I understand many of you like Looper, I considered
buyng the new single or EP, something about being up a tree. I had a listen
to it at my local record store, Woodstock Records, St Albans, and one song
does sound like it might turn into The Whole of the Moon at any moment, I
was also disturbed by a sound stolen straight out of a B*witched record, I
thought I'd leave the purchase untill more thorough investigation can be
carried out. Just so all you Looper fans out there can rest assured my
musical taste is questionalble, I actually like Isobel's songs. If any of
you are Beck fans, are you looking forward to his new LP, I'm really not
sure about Sexxlaws, but no matter what it's like I'm going to try
desperately hard to see him play if he does any gigs here.

Is anyone into James Bond films, there's an exhibition at the Serpentine
(in London) of the work of Ken Adams, he made most of the miniature sets
and things for the films. It starts 17th November and is free, anyone
interested in meeting up there to have a look around please e-mail me
privately.

Back to the subject, I am currently exploring the work of Iain Banks, I'm
reading his sci-fi stuff at the moment but the dramatisation of The Crow
Road a while back on TV was pretty good. I started with Feersum Endjin
which is short but incredibly imaginative, I usually find SF books badly
written or just a poor story but this is a great book, as long as you can
get the hang of skipping in and out of reading phonetically on a regular
basis. I don't normally let myself buy books because of the ease of access
to libraries but I do like them as objects almost as much as for the
content. I bought Feersum endjin to read on a bus and I've read it three
times in six months, you always find new things you missed before. This
lead me to buying Consider Phlebas, his first SF, and it's just as good so
far, if a little more conventional. Take this as a recommendation, there's
no point me doing a book review here, but they are definately worth reading
if you're into that sort of thing.

Thanks to Honey for sorting all that mess out, I've only just joined and it
looked like the end, but reason prevailed (hopefully), those B&S diary
extracts are great by the way, looking forward to more.

Billyhaze