Sinister: The Sensibility of Belle and Sebastian

Brandt Fundak bfundak at xxx.org
Mon Nov 1 19:30:46 GMT 1999

I have been reading the discussions on Nouvelle Vague with great interest,
and while I know very little about the form, I was drawn to write by the
comments made by Youn about Belle and Sebastians "feminine sensability."
I thought about this assertion for a bit and I am not sure I agree.  For a
while now, I have been trying to identify what it is about Belle and
Sebastian that makes them a much "better" (for lack of a term) band in my
eyes than other bands that I like. I thought that perhaps Youn had
identified what I had been searching for, but I don't think so.  Is what
belle and sebastian has such a "feminine" sensibility?  I rarely ever
think about gender when listening to Belle and Sebastian because I think
defining a gender creates boundaries and I think the subject matter of a
lot of B & S songs don't have gender boundaries.  Unfortunately, this does
not answer the question of what exactly it IS about Belle and Sebastian
that sets them apart.

Maybe I should stop trying to figure it out.  Maybe I am just talking out
of my ass, but I have had a hard time figuring out what makes Belle and
Sebastian so damned good.

Brandt