Sinister: Gear B&S Interview...

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Tue Nov 2 02:53:18 GMT 1999

One of my friends hipped me to a B&S "interview" (I use that term loosely) in
the new edition of the US men's mag Gear.  Its a decent premise in that a
journalist who is in love with the band travels to Glasgow to throw himself
at the heels of Mr. Murdoch in the hopes of being granted an interview.  The
only catch is that he spends most of the time talking about the band to Alan
Rankine, Stephen Pastel and a few other sundry characters who shed little
light on the band (Half the quotes were lifted from the BBC documentary for
crying out loud).  Struan says very little (go figure) but he does say some
interesting things about his love for the Smiths.  Plus they give a fuller
picture of the Seymour Stein debacle a few years back and Mr. Rankine tells
how Struan used to wear three peice suits with pajama bottoms.
The thing I find most odd is that its in a men's magazine that has a more
than subtle predilection towards tits, motorcycles and American football
players.  I'm not saying thats a bad thing, because if "real" men can be
exposed to things like B&S it might do some good for society.  I just get the
feeling its more a dissection of a fad than any serious discussion on the
band outside of their unexpected fame.  For instance, the phrase "You should
know B&S because..." is repeated about 20 times through the article.  I think
the author genuinely loves the band and is as much of a true fan as we are,
but I seriously doubt the magazine gives two shits about Struan or B&S as a
whole other than to boost their "sensitive man" demographic.  Maybe I'm being
cynical...pick up the mag and see for yourself.
Later

Steve C.