Sinister: Reminder and Update: Top 15 (not 20) Albums of 1999

Mark Niciu markniciu at xxx.com
Fri Nov 5 06:24:22 GMT 1999

Hi gals and guys,

I just wanted to refresh your memories regarding my compiling a list of the
"Top 20 Albums (LPs) of 1999".  To date, I have only received 5 entries
(and, albeit I appreciate his contribution, one entry listed only 8 albums).
  Nevertheless, to update the rules that I had previously presented, you
need only provide 15 LPs (not the previous 20 that I had requested).  This
should alleviate the strain on some of our brains and proscribe one from
having scrounge among less quality LPs in an effort to round out the 20.  In
addition, feel free to send this list as late as 1 February 2000.  Thus, LPs
that some of us have been anticipating, e.g. Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (my
friend has renamed "Spanish Dance Troupe" the album of the year), the
Charlatans, and Bernard Butler, but whose release dates fall after the 1
November 1999 date that I previously recommended for submittal may be
included in the fray.

I'll briefly present a synopsis of some of the lists that I have received.
It appears to have been a breakthrough year musically for us Amerks, as the
Flaming Lips' "The Soft Bulletin" (#1 on two of the five lists received),
Beulah's "When Your Heartstrings Break", and Wilco's "Summerteeth" seem to
be staples, understandingly enough, among those who have submitted.  Some
notable LPs, to my ears, that have been ranked low or omitted altogether
are:

1.  The Chemical Brothers "Surrender" - This is hands down the best
dance/electronic album to be released this year.
2.  Super Furry Animals "Guerrilla"  - With Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, these
Weslh lads are most innovative group around, and their new LP demonstrates
their ability to experiment beautifully, e.g. "Northern Lites", "Wherever I
Lay My Phone" and the splendid ballad "Fire in My Heart".
3.  Mogwai "Come On Die Young" - The Glasgow lads show some versatility with
this release, Iggy Pop's on "Punk Rock", and "Christmas Steps" is
apocalyptic!
4.  Salako "Musicality" - Somewhat surprisingly, little love has been
demonstrated for Belle and Sebastian's labelmates.  I saw them at the CMJ
Music Festival in New York and, although Snow Patrol stole some of their
thunder, they were quite charming and their music was quite catchy.

I've said my piece!  Now vote all 1000 or so of you sinisterites for your
top 15 masterpieces (or scrounge some here and there) by sending your list
to markniciu at hotmail.com

Peace,
~M