Sinister: about Hefner and B&S

jarkko frantila chamomile1 at xxx.com
Fri Nov 5 10:26:52 GMT 1999

Well I interview Darren Hayman from Hefner for Sue-magazine via e-mail, as
I've said before. Jsut a few questions, nothing spectacular. Well, thought
you'd like to know what he said, escpecially since it's a bit about B&S too.
Anyway, here it goes...

1)
So, Fidelity Wars out and you've been doing some gigs in the UK. How's it
been?

Good, suprising, we thought only people in London knew about us really, the
further north we went the more they danced.

2)
It seems to me that you are in some sense a love/hate band: People either
love your music or can't stand the slow jive you've got in your groove...
Any truth in this? Or do you even care what people say about you?

We care a little about what people think, as we are interested in our
audience, but not in a way that governs what we do. I think any artist worth
their salt wants a love/hate thing rather then a like thing.

3)
I've got this impression that people tend to put you in the same category
with the likes of Belle&Sebastian and others, you know, clever lyrics and
semiacoustic music. Do you think that's accurate? Can you relate to, say,
B&S?

I can relate to them to an extent, but theres quite a few differences too.
Belle & Sebastian create this world which doesn't really exist in
real life and that gets on my nerves after a while, nice people though.

4)
What do you think of people who, while talking about music, throw these
lesser known bands into the discussion so they can prove how "in" they are?
You ever do that? It happens in all musicscenes, wether it's Trance or House
or Indie or whatever. Or do you just rock on and not give a damn about these
things?

Well its true, people who know about lesser, more obscure bands are more
'in' it proves they love music more. I do it all the time and I
know I'm right. To prove it I'm listening right now to the Extra-glens.

5)
What are you like when you're drunk? Get into fights or just sit around in
the corner hoping that no-one notices you?

I'm OK when I'm drunk, I talk a little less.

6)
Any plans to tour Europe? You were in Stockholm but that was just a
promotional-tour, wasn't it? Finland would be nice, you know...

Never been to Stockholm, we want to come to Scandanavia.

7)
What next? Now you've got horns and scratching in "Fidelity Wars"... You
going to pull off a Neil Hannon or Burt Baccarah and get some big
orchastration behind you to your next album?

Just to put  Hannon and Baccarach in the same sentence. Hannon is a buffoon.
He uses violins in the same way Oasis use guitars, just
pile them on.

There was 3 more question, but since I screw them up a little (never mind, I
wont go into details) I'll leave them out. Rock on 'till the break of break
of dawn,

@-->-- Jake

That was it, you can go on with your lives now.