Sinister: B+S Toronto gig/sham/SfC

Jason Scott sjason at xxx.com
Sun Nov 7 18:49:57 GMT 1999

ok, jj, I've come out of lurk-status (for 2 months!) to relay an answer to
your woes about this B+S rumour thing.
In fact, last night, charming angel in T.O. had a get-together which I hoped
went well,(Angel?). Terribly sorry I missed it, but I was cold and drunk at
a football game instead (shame on my priorities!). Anyways, last night's
meet up was Part 1, Part 2 will be happening at Ranch Relaxo upstairs on
Thursday Nov. 19th. It's titled "Songs for Children", hosted by deb,
contains a whole lotta B+S record-playing, and i WILL be there for THAT this
time, I swear! THAT is the so-called gig that you are wondering about,which
isn't really a gig at all, is it? In fact, if you locals pick up this weeks
"eye" magazine (with Bryan Ferry on the cover), turn to the bottom of pg 28
where Rancho Relaxo's ad is, it says "DIRECT FROM GLASGOW--BELLE &
SEBASTIAN". I even called the place to ask them what the deal was. He cut me
off mid sentence like it was his millionth annoying call that day, and told
me "no, no...it's a LIE. It's just...someone's playing records by them all
night." Fair enough.
Are you behind all this propaganda deb? Quite ingenious. I want a shirt off
you, by the way, if you are going to be selling them. Perhaps I should go
around town and collect all the eye mags I see and clip out the tiny ads and
wallparer my room with them. They might be worth something one day.
Oh, and I'm worried: over dinner with a very good female companion, I said I
was going to go to the S.F.C. night. She sneered and said "WHY would you
want to go to some bar where everyone looks like Chris(brit-pop friend),
hear them play nothing but Belle & Sebastian ALL night, sit around on
couches or something, and do *this* (proceeds to snap fingers in a mod/cool
cat/hipster kinda way with mouth open and brainless look on her face).
So what do you all think of that? I hope to God that's not what it's like.
Except for the playing of B+S all night long. If it is, I plan to get drunk
and bitch-slap all your little mugs and tell you "lighten up!". In a nice
way, I mean. Because you know, I want to have all your children...let's be
social, shall we? Can't wait to meet you all, sorry I couldn't make it last
night, Angel. =(
"I KISS YOU!!!!!" -Mahir, 1999
jason d. "back to lurking again" scott