Sinister: There's always been a chortling dwarf element to our music

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 8 10:21:36 GMT 1999

Hello babies

I don't know if anyone has noticed (or, in fact, if it's just me), but if
you sing the beginning of "Slow Graffitti" to yourself and then speed it up
and speed it up a bit more it becomes "The Laughing Gnome" by Dame David
Bowie.  It's possible that I only noticed this after my very drunken friend
(two bottles of wine by the end of the rugby on Saturday) managed to lever
"Dame David and how fantastic his new album is" into every conversation on
Saturday night.  Don't get me wrong, i love Slow Graffitti and I hope i
haven't spoiled it for anyone :)

Finished "Nalda Said" yesterday (thank you for sending it Linda) and it's
lovely and really really sad at the end.  Someone said it was written in
dialect, but it isn't to my mind.  I think of dialect writing like in Irving
Welsh, all "wide-o" and "dinneas" and "saltnsoss", but Nalda... is just
written with an almost poetic use of language, so one does have to stop and
read slowly (I'm terrible for skim reading things) to appreciate the use of
words.  Good characters and nice plot on top of this lovely prose style mean
Top Marks to Mr David.  I also notice from the inside back cover that Mr
Techno Pagan Octop-arse wanky bollox has a book by the same publisher.
Apparently its about taking drugs, travelling and BEING A FUCKIN' HIPPY.
Sounds grate.

Is it a sign of spending too much time in the chat room when you think about
your "actions"?
ie waving at someone and thinking

*carsmile waves.

Fortunately my new exciting job <cough> (I'm an "admin team leader", i'm in
charge of people which is just a little scary (especially as they are all
middle-aged women)) means I'm prob'ly going to be so snowed under with
actual proper work (no laughing at the back, Hopkins) that I won't have time
to sit and talk about the finer details of Battle of the Planets or the
merits of assorted left wing political parties or being a cowboy.

However, as I have a sparkly new pooter at home (it's grey-y beige
actually), I'll just end up with mountainous phone bills from sitting and
discussing the finer details of Battle of the Planets etc etc.

I know i've told some of you individually, but for those of you i haven't
had a chance to, there is a (currently rather small) Mr and Mrs
CarsmileSteve Wedding Photo album at

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Theater/5727/wedding/weddindex.html

Now I have my own scanner, I shall endeavor to add more piccies sooner
rather than later.

Oh, I taped Rosita (hmm), Hefner (wahoo), Flaming Lips (big wahoo) and
Marine Research (erm, actually haven't listened to it yet) off the radio the
other week, if anyone wants a copy.

enough for now

xoxo

CarsmileSteve