Sinister: you wouldn't believe in my new belle

Archel1978 at xxx.com Archel1978 at xxx.com
Mon Nov 8 13:27:26 GMT 1999

obviously the thought of the new album is haunting my subconscious - i just
wrote 'sinisitar' in the address field.

SINISTER
i found an interesting little thing the other day in an article about left
and right sides of the brain.  i know the discussion about the word
'sinister' and left-handedness etc has been had before, but:

"Dexterity (from the Latin dexter, right) connotes skill, adroitness,
efficiency, cleverness, whilst the left-hand is sinister (Latin for left) - cl
umsy, stupid, shadowy, mysterious and evil."

pick an adjective, kids...

SIMON AND GARFUNKEL
i have recently re-discovered simon & garfunkel (not that i ever really lost
them) and it reminded me of a funny and sad little story from my schooldays.
there was a boy in my class, i suppose i called him a friend, who once
everyone discovered fashion and cliques and identity markers became a
leather-jacket, bandana 'n' big-boot wearing metalhead.  on a school trip
once someone asked him about a badge he was wearing, a kind of silver death's
head coiled snake thing, i think.  it was a band logo, and a conversation
about the band ensued.  after a short time this boy seemed to run out of
things to say.  eventually he admitted that he actually didn't much like such
music and his favourite band were simon and garfunkel, but you couldn't go
around wearing simon and garfunkel badges while dressed in biker gear, could
you?

moral: beware of tying yourself down to particular looks, lest you become
trapped by them.  god, school was a harsh place.  the only gesture i ever
dared to make towards individualism was wearing blue dms instead of black
ones.  but i hope that boy is letting his simon&garfunkel side come out now.
and remember, b&s badgies go with everything :)

BLURRY ITCH PROJECT
i don't care what you say, i'm bloody glad england is not big enough to get
lost in.  since saturday i am also having a problem listening to hefner's
'sad witch', because it's got tangled up in my mind with a certain film
(which is admittedly not scary for lots of the time, but the other times make
up for it).

NATWEST
now i'm single i seem to be lavishing my affection on inappropriate things
(not just fireworks).  i am in love with the natwest advert.  i squeal with
excitement when it comes on.  it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.  i used to
love 'the littlest hobo', but especially the theme tune, so how delighted was
i when it surfaced on that advert?  i sing along loudly every time, and never
get bored of it.  it's brilliant!  i wish b&s would do a cover.  in fact they
could do a whole album of cover versions - Belle and Sebastian Sing TV Themes
- to be chosen by their fans.  let's campaign now!  (obviously it'll take
them another 15 years to record it, on their current form, but never mind.)

DEAR DIARY BIT
next weekend i may have to see my ex for the first time since it all went
isobel-shaped.  partly i am very excited because the occasion is the nus
student media awards, and the magazine i once edited has been shortlisted.
unfortunately my ex succeeded me as editor, and an absolute bitch who has
wanted to get her claws into him for ages succeeded him.  she has mysterious
power over men.  perhaps they will both be there, in a luvvie media style
couple, and i will be forced to do her harm.  do i still go?  or do i miss
the chance to dress up and drink champagne (actually i don't know if that's
happening...) for the sake of avoiding awkwardness and/or violence?

maybe i'll just stay in and wait until the natwest advert comes on...

enough already, archel xxx

*******
Rachel Playforth
archel at iname.com