Sinister: We've burnt the shed, it's a lonely view......

Pete Ramsdale peter.ramsdale at xxx.com
Tue Nov 9 16:21:28 GMT 1999

Oh, If only Anthony Kiedis knew how much fun I have by mishearing all
his lyrics......

Hello all.

I wasn't going to post, since I am still only half way through my
treatise on why Gregory's Girl reminds me of B&S, but I have a
terrible suspicion that the powers that be have just called me a goat.
And although I do tend to eat the furniture if left on my own for long
enough, I'd much rather be a sheep. Even if that does mean that I get
shagged by welsh people. I've had worse......

As usual, Archel has made me think. To which I can only say: "Don't.
It hurts". But I'll reply anyway. The first bit was:

> in an attempt to fill the (actually quite small) void left by my boyfriend,

which made me think (but only for a minute) that the usually
ever-so-demure Ms. Playforth was having a right old go at her
ex-boyfriend's penis size. But after a while I realised that my
altogether too rapid conclusion was simply a product of talking to too
many of my own ex-girlfriends. I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Archel.
Even though you did manage to compound my confusion by unanimously
stating that fireworks are better than sex.

The following was also mentioned:

> "twelve tons of cornflakes pass under this bridge every day"

which I can only assume is a slogan painted on a bridge. It isn't,
however, the best one, which in my humble (but nevertheless completely
correct) opinion is painted on a bridge in Oldham:

"Oldham: The home of the tubular bandage".

Now there's something to be proud of.

I was also impressed (and slightly amused) by Carsmile's references to
"The Laughing Gnome" by David Bowie. When I was back in Manchester,
said P!O!P! superstar did a two-hour radio phone-in, the premise of
which was that he would play any song that somebody rang in and asked
for. The great bit about it was that the whole shebang had to be
called off after the three-hundred and seventh request for The
Laughing Gnome. I chortled. I don't think I'm a gnome, though,
although bits of me are suspiciously small. According to various
ex-girlfriends, at least.

As for B&S content, well, I shall wait until I finish the stuff on why
Gregory's Girl reminds me of B&S to post it. Or not, if it's crap.
But, I'll offer simultaneous congratulations and possible
commiserations to Laine, who wins my ultimate admiration for the
obviously adept and downright sexy way she managed to club herself
around the head with an exceedingly large, vertical lump of metal
whilst talking about B&S. That's true dedication, that is - selflessly
extoling the virtues of our favourites to another possible list member
whilst risking broken bones and brain damage when big inanimate things
jump out at you. Watch out for poles indeed. Especially that John Paul
the Second character. Right nasty bastard he is - he'll lamp you one
as soon as look at you.

Here endeth todays lesson,

lol p xx.
--

 "I am plagued by doubts. What if everything is an illusion and
  nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my
  carpet."
                                  - Woody Allen, "Complete Prose"

 Pete Ramsdale - Unix Systems Administration, Warburg Dillon Read
 Phone: 0171 568 3836

related financial instruments.