Sinister: Gothic?... Gothic?, really now.

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Fri Nov 12 03:43:36 GMT 1999

So while trying to look up tabulature on the UBL website I ran a search on
B&S. The odd thing was the genre it was listed under. That genre being my
subject line, said subject line being Gothic. Now, no offense meant to any
good little gothic boys or girls who may be on the list but how pray tell
does one classify B&S as *gothic*? It reminds me of when a few of my friends
and I were enjoying an evening out and I slid a tape into the car's deck.
Ignoring the cry of; "So Jim, is this going to be another angry chick band?"
from the backseat I turned up the volume on Tigermilk. Three or four songs
later that damned voice from the back calls out; "So Jim, it seems we're
going for depressed, whiney guy bands now?". This from someone whose idea of
party music is Leonard Cohen and a Roger Waters *theme* album about the end
of the world, christ! Screw you too Josh!:-)
    Seriously, is it me? Do I just not understand these things? Firstly, I
don't find B&S all that depressing, let alone gothic. It is a bit difficult
to pin a label on B&S (and that my brothers and sisters in the sinister
order, is a very good thing) but really now, gothic is a bit much don't you
think? Alternative folk-pop maybe? Damn, it is rather difficult. Though I do
think they should make a special category for B&S and use danielle's title;
"songs by wimpy scottish kids" Now that is a genre label I can get behind.

Be Sinister dear ones!!!

...and to all those sinister kids with broken hearts and clouds over their
heads, tomorrow's a new day and the world isn't half as dim and cold as it
seems. Cheers!!-Jim

"Bruce Lee didn't need a gun"- Grant Morrison, "Invisibles"