Sinister: Snow on my TV, and B&S touring my town?

Dan Hooper dhooper at xxx.com
Fri Nov 12 21:38:24 GMT 1999

Hello Popsters,

Carlos wanted to know our opinions of B & S touring the US. Well . .
. I wouldn't want to be forward or anything, but . . . YES! YES! YES!
YES!  And they definately should come out west. California needs
them. And I can only vouch for myself, but . . . I guarantee at least
one ticket sale at every San Francisco show, San Jose show, Los
Angeles show, and any other shows in California. I could also
guarantee one ticket sale in Seattle WA, Chicago IL, and Austin, San
Antonio, Dallas, or Houston TX because I either like those places or
I have friends there. Yes, Belle & Sebastian should tour the US, and
frequently!

Please pardon my enthusiasm, but the thought excites me. Oh, and my
housemate said that she would love to see them play SF as well.

Snow Patrol on MTV. This is good, it would be better if it was a Snow
Patrol concert, or better yet, a Bell & Sebastian concert, but hey,
if Snow Patrol can generate interest, maybe Belle & Sebastian is not
far behind.

It seems that there are many different meanings to the term "stoner"
in this world, and I believe our Mistopher Chris got ahold of the
wrong end of the stick. Round about the parts that I come from (Cali,
where we know how to party) a "stoner band" is one whose fans tend to
alter their consciousness with herbal concoctions, usually to excess,
while listening to the band's music. And though I have been known to
"burn a fatty" every now and again while listening to IFYS or
Twattybus, but never while listening to Tigermilk (yeah, right), and
though thoughts of Isobel have been known to evoke Mistopher Chris's
idea of a stoner, I would no more call then a "stoner band" that I
would a "Goth band" (unless I completely misread my list mates). But
it does give me a bit of a smile to think of those creatures of the
night with dark silent eyes, brooding visages, and a bit too much
make-up softly grooving to "Is It Wicked."

The song marie elia used to sing in choir is a canon for Handel's
Messiah. It sounds like "Oh we like sheep/ Oh we like sheep/ Oh we
like sheep . . ." but in actual fact the lines are "All we like
sheep/ All we like sheep/ all we like sheep have gone astray." Still
. . . .  I have used this piece to demonstrate that George Frederick
was a little more than friendly with our fleecy friends, in a country
sort of way. And what is even more frightening is that the lyrics, as
all the lyric in the Messiah, are verse lifted directly from the
Bible. Makes one wonder, don't it?

I think I would rather be a goat, but then I am a Capricorn. So I
guess I already am.

Autumn doesn't make me think of Belle & Sebastian music, but Autumn
in California is not like Autumn in say Boston or Virginia. I could
see how Belle & Sebastian would be a wonderful soundtrack as one
walked across the campus of a fine old eastern American University or
against the gothic stone of those campuses in the UK with the air
crisp and the leaves crunchy and red and yellow and brown. But here
in California, autumn is only summer cooling off before the rains
come. The sunlight changes and becomes more sad, because it signifies
the end of Summer than the beginning of Winter. But Belle & Sebastian
music is like hot cocoa, it makes everything better.

Well there's my two cents, and I'm sure we're all the richer for it.
I'm back to lurking quietly. Have a nice weekend all  . . .  Until
next time I have something to say

All the best
Daniel Hooper