Sinister: romance is for suckers

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Sat Nov 13 17:43:06 GMT 1999

Hello.  Baaa.

When I saw the subject of Johan's message I thought it was a mucky reference to
the 'controversial'  Catherine Breillat film.  I saw that this week.  It upset
me quite a lot.  It's all about the dark recesses of sexual identity and how
relationships are really all really fiendish power struggles.  'Romance is the
illusion of love', opines Breillat in an interview.   Oooh - I guess that makes
the title I-R-O-N-I-C.   I felt like sticking  'Lazy Line Painter Jane' up their
miserable arses.  I suppose that makes me a twee fucker who doesn't understand
THE DARK SIDE.  Well better that than be a goth.  Although I am a bit partial to
a bit of 'the 4AD Belle and Sebastian' once in a while.  New game: give me...
goth versions of well known Belle & Sebastian songs.

I'm very excited about these new songs.   Perhaps Stuartemm will have written
one of them for a change.  That would be nice.  I also applaud the band's
decision to throw their aesthetic masterplans out of the window and appear on an
Sky One show hosted by Chris 'Boils' Moyles.

Look what it also says on the band's site:

> We are also recording a Peel session in December, to
> be broadcast on Radio 1 early next year.

Huzzah - at last.

>Me: I'm fed up with this.
>Grant off Eastenders: Who else is on the show?
>Me: Travis, Weller, Oasis, McCartney, Sting probably.
>Grant off Eastenders: Oh, I love that Travis. (sings) Why does it always
rain...
>Me: You're not helping.

Stuart's just like us, really.  Except he can't be, because he also writes all
those songs.  That's the thing you can't get away from with art - it's all
produced by artists.

I'm in a funny mood.

A while ago, I read this:

>perhaps i could have thought of something more appropriate
>than oh if i hadn't spent the previous 3 hours in the pub
>consoling a newly single female friend. that always happens
>to me cos im dead unthreatening and so they come to me when
>they break up with their exciting blokes in order to be
>convinced that there are nice guys in the world, then they
>start going out with the next exciting guy they meet. well
>i've decided to become interesting cos its obviously the way
>to get girls.

> a) not ironing my jeans
> b) buying myself a small motor scooter
> c) allowing my cd collection to deviate from
> alphabetical order (not the
> vinyl though, a man can only go so far)
> d) pretending that i have actual friends who e-mail
> me and not just people i've never met

Beware young wizard!  This light-hearted pique about girls and their crazee ways
might one day turn nasty.  Once you have found that throwing your CDs into a big
heap and not washing for a week still doesn't bring the girls a-knocking,  you
could find yourself replacing 'exciting blokes' with 'bastards' or 'fuck ups'.
And then you'll might start really RESENTING girls for not playing fair by
fancying you rotten.  And then you might turn into a miserable old cunt.  And
misogyny is not cool.  Although it might be a real bitch magnet.  I really don't
know.  Anyway, best not to worry too much.   Generalising about such things is
the road to ruin.  See 'Romance'.  Or rather, don't.

Anyway, yes - you still haven't answered Mark C's question about how this
squares with your earlier claims of being mobbed by women wherever you go.  Were
they not 'the right sort of girls'?  These things cut both ways, remember.
There was once a terrific song by a band called Airhead went 'Funny how the
girls you fall in love with never fancy you / funny how the ones you don't do'.
It predated the crap-breezy-indie-rock craze by several years.  Thinking about
it, Airhead are a perfect example of the artless product of a people who aren't
artists. And that's why we can all relate to it so well.  Cuz you know it *is*
funny how the girls you fall in love with never fancy you.  And you know what's
SO IRONIC - how the ones you don't DO.  Sheesh!

La la la

Nick xxx