Sinister: Arggghhh...this one is not blank!

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Mon Nov 15 05:08:01 GMT 1999

I totally fubared that last sinister message, so I beg your forgiveness for
the blanky.  Hre it goes for real:
Like Rachel, I really, really tried to stay out of this one 'cause I figured
I wouldn't have anything of value to add to the debate.  Well, useless or
not, I think its time I said my peice.
No offense to anyone on the list, but I find it ludicrous that because
someone listens to the Velvet Underground, their opinions are more highly
respected than the Rod Stewart fan.  It should be about the motivation and
the passion for the music as opposed to what the music is, or whos playing
it.  I mean, you can't honestly divine what a person gets out of Limp Bizkit,
and if you can and you dismiss him on this assumption, than you're being more
ignorant than that person anyway.  Like when Elliott Smith played the Academy
Awards last year, all these indie kids came up to him afterwards and were
like "I can't believe they made you hold Celine Dion's hand" and he was like
"Well, she happens to be a very nice person and alot more openminded than
you're being right now.  You're in a very backwards position, you should
rethink it."  I don't detect any of that on this list most of the time, but
go to any indie club like the Black Cat in DC and you'll see these indie
scenesters in full effect.  Its really quite snobbish to assume that because
you were the only person in your zip code to buy the Rites of Spring LP from
1985 (mail order via Dischord of course, because retail is way to depressing
and not nearly indie cool enough), that you've been moved in a way that
people who love Sixpence None the Richer can't appreciate.  Music is music,
and if throwing an unknown band into a conversation just to make yourself
look alot smarter is your idea of cool, then you're in a bad way.  I
personally hate 99% of what is played on the radio stations, but if some Lit
song gives a 15-year-old the same misty-eyes that Maggie May gives me, well,
than where's the problem?
Its become sadly evident that punk/indie rock has totally become a cartoon of
itself.  It started out as an alternative to the cock-rock club that Led
Zeppelin and others had started and now, its even more exclusive than the
regime it set out to fight, and thats pretty sad.  The VU and such weren't
playing their music so people in SoHo would stop and say "whoa thats really
obtuse!", they were playing it because people then weren't making the kind of
music they wanted to hear and they wanted to bring like-minded people some
joy.  Maybe some of them did want to start some sick club, but how is that
part of the solution anyway?  If someone truly loves the music they listen
to, and if they have a passion for it, then thats who's opinion I trust, not
someone who listens to indie bands just so they make sure they're among the
"in" crowd.  Be it Ida or Barry Manilow, just make it mean something.
I'm really sorry to rant, and again I don't want this construed as anything
personal because I was speaking less about this list than the general state
of indie rock.  Um...ok...sorry again

Steve C.