Sinister: Ooh look, it's the Library Lemur

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 15 11:18:48 GMT 1999

Well I've got Sky, and a rather comfortable chaise longue/sofa bed if anyone
fancies coming to Cheltenham (not you, Billy).  There's a funky northern
soul/cool 60s stuff night on next Saturday too.  LETS HAVE A PARTY!!  C'mon
everybody!!

I'm rather excited about the whole thing actually, but I don't understand
that if it's 3 hours on Sky on Saturday, how come the Channel 4 "highlights"
prog is 3 hours too? eh? eh?  I do hope it's not extra footage on the
Channel 4 one cos that'll mean remembering to set the video on new years eve
and then hoping that Y2K doesn't cause my video to explode or mutate into a
horrible VHS chewing monster.  Oh well, it'll prob'ly just be Fran Healey
"jamming" with Weller, McCartney and Gallagher anyway (but wouldn't it be
rilly kewl in a rather odd way if it was Struan).

Lovely lovely Nick D said:

>There was once a terrific song by a band called Airhead went 'Funny >how
the
>girls you fall in love with never fancy you / funny how the ones you >don't
do'.
>It predated the crap-breezy-indie-rock craze by several years.

Ah yes, Airhead.  They were originally called Jefferson Airhead, y'know
(vague Hopkins baiting reference).  Definitely an early 90s Ooberman.  I
seem to recall the video featured the band being chased (a la Hard Days
Night) by large groups of "ugly girls" (braces, nhs glasses) whilst the
"pretty girls" (long blonde hair, no glasses, skinny) swanned around
ignoring them.  hmm, very suspect.  That and my mate who's other two
favourite bands were Extreme and Dan Reed Network really liked them.

I think thats the thing about musical taste.  It's only really through the
dreaded teenage years that I found myself disliking people because of their
musical taste.  In fact I did once split up with a girl through musical
differences (oh come on, Whitesnake??).  I may dislike people now, but only
if they're gits.  I may also not like other peoples fave bands, but I'm more
likely to just mercilessly rip the piss out of them (always a sign of true
friendship IMHO) than stop being their friends.

Oh, and another thing.  Difficult as it might be to believe but most people
don't actually live for music.  I know this is a tricky concept, and one me
and my friends often have problems getting our heads around.  Sample
comversation:

Mate:  She said she'd never been to a gig, *ever*
Me:  Well, y'know, not everyone goes to see bands twice a week
Mate: (surprised) Don't they?
Me:  No, most people just stay in and watch telly
Mate: (very surprised) What?  All the time?
Me:  'Fraid so

You get the picture.

xoxo

CarsmileSteve

oh, I forgot about the lemur, I'll save it for next time