Sinister: You got it - keep it out of my face

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 15 16:48:55 GMT 1999

>I'm a bit baffled by the new-look take-no-prisoners Nickie Dastoor and his
>slagging of Free Design. Haven't we moved a little bit beyond liking bands
>just because everyone else on Sinister likes them? I didn't even realise
>this is something that happens. But (if I'm understanding this rightly) hey,
>they're a Sinister cliché now so don't even bother checking them out. Nick,
>isn't your argument getting self-defeating - the only difference being the
>bands we're not allowed to like rather than the ones we all should?

I seem to be confusing a lot of people of late. Not least myself.  I'm pretty
sure I wasn't saying what Mark thinks I was, though.  I think The Free Design
are GREAT.  Neither am I suggesting that anyone on Sinister is pretending to
like them just because so many other people do.  I was just making reference to
their status as one of those previously obscure bands that through tapes and
recommendations have become popular with a lot of people quite rapidly.  People
like them because they like them.  Why so many people?  I don't know - they
obviously appeal to a lot of the same people as Belle and Sebastian appeal to.
If I use the phrase 'overlapping aesthetics' please don't think I'm a big ponce
who is suggesting that Belle and Sebastian fans all base their musical tastes on
some book of P!O!P! rules.  Although if anyone has a copy of the Big Book of
P!O!P! Rules, I'd love to borrow it.

What I *was* saying was that having records by them is not half as 'cool' as it
once was, because so many people seem to have them these days.  I'm not using
'cool' to men 'good' - I'm using it in the 'pop snob' sense (and pop snobbery
is, I think we all agree, A BAD THING, even if I wouldn't deny that I am guilty
of yielding to its charms myself).  To me, pop snobbery is all about being proud
of having records that no one else has.  Not about having records that everyone
in some youth subculture (eg indie kids) *does* have, which is what some people
seem to have been implying.  Props to Martin for admitting his 'Family Cat'
dating rule, though.

>I think I must just not be getting this cos Nick is a far brighter being
>than I am and I'm sure I'm missing something.

You sweetie you.

Sorry for not shutting up now like I said I would do before.

The new-look take-no-prisoners Nickie Dastoor

 xx