Sinister: yet ANOTHER introduction

Derek Porter dporter13 at xxx.net
Wed Nov 17 19:10:55 GMT 1999

Hi Y'all,

Sorry to clutter up the list with yet ANOTHER introduction, but I've been
waiting patiently in the nursery for a few weeks now, and I feel I'd be
remiss if I didn't at least say hello to all of you, especially after
reading all of your posts 'n stuff.

Hello.

My name's Derek. I'm a pretty new fan of Belle & Sebastian, only having
heard them for the first time a few months ago, but they became an instant
favorite. I was listening to a radio interview of my other favorite band,
the
Old 97's, here in Seattle, and when asked what records they were listening
to, two of them mentioned how much they liked B & S. Since I am a blind
sheep and will do whatever rocks stars say, I ran out immediately and bought
TBWTAS.
Thinking it to be the greatest thing I have ever heard, I went out and
bought IYFS, and finally Tigermilk. Each new purchase would have the hairs
on my neck jumping up just a wee bit higher. Having grown up in the land of
"crunchy
power chords", angst, and flannel, you've no idea how refreshing it was to
hear a song as beautiful as Seymore Stein or Judy...Horses. I'm now hard at
work locating the singles, and hope to have my collection complete and on
vinyl before the end of the millennium, when the fiends & felons will no
doubt come marauding and attempt to abscond with them. By that time,
however,
I should be well fortified on bourbon and good cheer, and plan to put up one
hell of a battle. I've also stockpiled what I feel to be a
sufficient amount of canned goods and firepower, so I feel I've at least
got a competitive chance.

Let's see, what else. I've yet to have a dream about or involving anyone
from B&S, but that could be because I've only ever seen two photos of Stuart
Murdoch, and I don't think I've seen photos of anyone else in the band. I
suppose I wouldn't know if I had or not because, as the recent Gear article
mentioned, the girl
holding the dog on wheels isn't even in the band. You all probably knew that
ages ago, but I thought it was inspired.

I love public transportation, and miss living in New York City for that very
reason. Nothing's been quite as exhilarating as my first solo subway ride,
looking entirely bewildered as someone with no legs rolled by on a
skateboard begging for change. The bus system in Seattle is fine, but lacks
the cast of characters I grew accustomed to. Busses & subways also make for
an instant
music video if you've brought your walkman along. I recently made a
brilliant
video in my head while listening to Johnny Hit & Run Pauline by X on my
headset, and watching the large gentleman sitting to the left fall asleep on
the bus. It was very modern and would surely win some kind of award, even
though the Backstreet/Brittany fans would never understand it.

Ok, I feel I've rambled on quite enough. Once again, hello to anyone who's
made it to the end of my missive, and if you're ever in the Seattle
metropolitan
area, shoot me an e-note as I'd love to meet another B&S fan for coffee or
drinks sometime.

And if you didn't read all the way down, lick me where I pee.

Good luck, and Godspeed,

Derek
dporter13 at earthlink.net