Sinister: fashionable snogging to melismatic melodies in colorado

CMD crystalstair at xxx.com
Thu Nov 18 06:14:54 GMT 1999

City slickers,

Emily (wherever I may find her) baited me out from my mountain cave with this unconscious query:

"{my fave is}.....those little bits of songs in which SM drags out what he's singing:  "...dream of  ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-orses," etc.  There's probably some musical-type term for that, but I don't know it."

which leads to the ...... (can you stand the excitement).....

------>Musical Term of the Day<------
* Melismatic *  A melodic style characterized by many notes sung to a single text syllable.

I do believe above word is precisely that for which Emily sought. Found!  Now you can ace that intro to music test.  I also believe that Mr. Murdoch is right up there with Vivaldi, and surely, centuries from now,  Belle and Sebastian will be in the computer chip music text books. (will those computer chips be implanted in the brains of babies at birth?  imagine: instant lyric proficiency....hmm....but none of the amusing mis-hearings.)

------>Colorado Quandaries<--------
I am at school in Boulder, CO presently.  Do any of you Sinisterines reside nearby?  Do send an electronic message my way (not the list way)! I am small music student in big (read: very big) school - and you know, I look for those badges, but haven't seen any.  There must be some of you out here...

------>Universal University Fashion Fair<-------
Is there the clothes brand Abercrombie and Fitch outside the US?  I want to know!  Their labels are ubiquitous here, and the gigantic sporty/sexy posters they put up in the store windows disturb me.  But granted there are more disturbing things in this world.  For instance, the image of Anne Geddes and Isobel fighting it out.
I couldn't 'member that woman's name (who does all those pics of babies in flower pots) until I followed George Dickie's link. Props to you, sir, for augmenting the list of things I'll surely forget again, but enjoy knowing for the time being.

------>Parting (Naughty?) Query<-------
Snog music!   Have you favorites, theories, equations?  I'm quite interested, so email me (not list) if you care to share.  How do you come up with that late-night date-night programming?  What usually makes the cut?  Perhaps I'll post a summary, or write a book, or something, should response will it.

Now I go to kick some leaves around.

Waving bye at the coquettish rockers,
Kate