Sinister: I haven't just escaped from the nursery

MARTIN_CONNEELY at xxx.ie MARTIN_CONNEELY at xxx.ie
Thu Nov 18 17:47:44 GMT 1999

Will wrote

<<Can anybody help me to ease myself back into society
now that the current series of 'Millionaire' (as I
believe 'insiders' refer to Mr Tarrant's show) is
drawing to a close?>>

Yes: there's a book called "Behind the scenes at Who Wants to be a Millionaire"
by Tom McGregor (honestly!).  It's large format, there's only 128 pages, there
are lots of pictures and it doesn't use joined up writing. Can't understand how
nobody nominated it for the Laura Llew Literary List.  Seems from Derek's post
that there's a US version, too, of the programme that is.  Does the host of that
one canoodle with wives to be of UK royalty, too?

Last night's show was quite daring.  It included "muff" as a possibility for
keeping eggs and teapots warm.  And I also learned from the show that a Major is
only just above Captain in UK army rankings. So I've had to revise my
interpretation of Me and the Major - if he's still only a Major despite
remembering Roxy Music in'72, he's as much of a loser as some of the other
Murdoch beings we all know and love.

Kate wrote:

<<Snog music! How do you come up with that late-night date-night programming? >>
Didn't StarrySarah offer top marks once upon a time to anybody who could
successfully use Me and the Major in that context? I miss her anti-Isobelling;
only the odd swipe now.

Kate also wrote:
<<* Melismatic *  A melodic style characterized by many notes sung to a single
text syllable.>>, referring to Struan's dragged out vocals at times, which was
ascribed on the list of yore to his having something in his mouth (besides his
tongue!) when singing.  Hearing The Boy done wrong again recently, it seems to
me as if batteries are wearing down in something.

Mark Casarotto wrote:

<<Hangovers are the worst...Even 4 pints now knacker me the whole of the next
day>>
If you make it to 40, it gets unbearable.

A recent digest was called "369".  When will the "LLPJ" digest arrive.

I've been reading through old digests and the Struan that Owen Wizard used to
hang around with in the Gent's (under "I didn't look at his winkie" in the
archives?) seems very different to the Guardian Struan.
Great to see the return of Brad.  The night of his return there was a UK Channel
4 programme called "Deconstructing Brad".  He's still mailing so mustn't have
worked.

Now for another few months of lurking.

MartinC