Sinister: Twees and busses and comrades

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Fri Nov 19 14:03:46 GMT 1999

Firstly, a quick message to Mr Ferneyhough:

I want to be on the tape twee but every time I try and mail you it comes
beck "message undeliverable".  I don't know if anyone else is having the
same probs, but I don't know how else to contact you.

Sorry about that :)

Right, on to other stuff

I was on a bus last night (hurray, another bus story).  It wasn't the bus I
usually get, and it took a very "scenic" route (ie twice as long as usual)
from Cheltenham to Gloucester.  It was also a double decker (my favourite).
So I was sat on the top deck listening to tigermilk on my walkman and it
sounded even better than usual, especially as the other people on the bus
seemed to suit the songs perfectly, as did the suburban parts of town we
were travelling through.  It also made me think about you lot and all the
other bus stories we've had recently.

Anyway, the reason for me making this journey was to attend a rather boring
union meeting.  After the meeting, the only other person under 30 came up to
me and said "ooh Belle and Sebastian" (I had a badge on, as always).  So it
turns out he used to be on the list "back in the day" and he's a really nice
guy and he's a librarian (as i know so many of you are :)).  As we were the
only "youngsters" there, we are now the Youth officers for the branch and
will have to think up lots of exciting things to get "the kids" (ie anyone
under 30) involved in UNISON.  I'm sure comrade Struan would approve.  Maybe
we could get him to come and play a benefit for us <steve drifts off into
dream world>.

<snaps back to reality>So all in all a very B&S kinda night.

Gui mentioned my NME quote of the day.

"All the B&S fans I've met have been hard drinking, chain-smoking all
day and all nighters"

What can I say.  I was defending us against a scurrilous attack of being
twee and foppish and wet.

"Already excited about watching the telly tomorrow night"

CarsmileSteve