Sinister: Convince me

Koen De Crock koendcr at xxx.com
Mon Nov 22 22:46:43 GMT 1999

Brandt Fundak wrote:

>For instance, why should I buy the Gentle Waves?  Of all of the B & S
>related bands, I am the most leary about Gentle Waves.  I see the CD
>often, and yet something always keeps me from picking it up. Convince me
>otherwise.
>
>And what is the deal with Felt?  Should I buy a felt album?  What other
>bands should I look into? I am seriously trying to fill a void here, so I
>need the help.
>
>Boy, I need help with focus.
>
>Brandt

Okay,

you need some help for some new records.

First of all, don't buy gentle waves. This is a personal opinion, but when
Isobel sings solo, she sends shivers down my spine.

So what should you buy. Or what do I think is good. 1. Nectarine no. 9.
Good, messy band with some great albums. To start, buy the compilation they
released a few weeks earlier. Good value for money. I don't have it yet:
couldn't find it in the shops in Belgium, so had to order it and still
didn't receive it. 2. The Carve up. Comp. from the show with the same name
on the old XFM. Great comp. with a brilliant accoustic version of Nick
Caves' "the Mercy Seat". 3. Sofa. Like Joy Division meeting Slint on a dark
november night. Dark, noisy, moody but brill. 4. Godspeed you Black Emperor.
A must have. Noisy postrock. Cellos, violins and guitars fighting at the end
of the world. 5. Do make say think. Postrock too, but not noisy. Expect a
bit of a bumpy ride but after a few listens you'ill love it. 6. The Queers.
Just have some tapes of it without any references of songs'names. Great ooh
aah sunshine rock. Check out their song "I enjoy being a boy" on the carve
up. 7. Zita Swoon. Belgium's finest. Beautiful melange of a bit of Tom Waits
madness and everything else that's good. Must have. 8. Low. Slowcore of the
finest kind. Great vocal harmonies and lovely, soft, quiet guitars. Their
latest album is their best. Music so beautiful that you cannot believe it.
9. Sigur Ros. Icelandic band that just released a single on Fat Cat records.
The rest of their CD's is only available through expensive import, even in
Belgium. Music so beautiful that you'll be holding your breath in awe. 10.
Seam. Indie rock slowcore Slint meets Pavement meets ... Beautiful songs
about long lost loves, sometimes a bit punky sometimes so quiet that even
your grandma will love it. Great voice b.t.w. 11. Yo la tengo, ....

There's so much more, but my time is up. Sorry.

See you at the next one and have a good time

K.