Sinister: Stu D Webchat

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Tue Nov 23 10:31:20 GMT 1999

Last night as i was casually perusuing the newsgroup, i happened across a
message for a Stu D live webchat.  Imagine my surprise when I realise it was
happening AT THAT VERY MOMENT!!

So I clicked on the link and waited in the appropriate chatroom.  Then the
organiser guy said Stu couldn't get into that chat room, cos his computer
was rubbish or something so someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided we
should go to lycos chat.  All I can say is i will never moan about undernet
again, splits, lags were as nothing compared to this absolutely horrendous
so called chat room.  So about an hour later, after much faffing about, Stu
turned up and me and four other people (johnfm and James Thornily (who I
alerted from #sinister) and two others) had a bit of a chat.

MAIN POINTS OF THE CHAT

1.  Stu D thinks we are "freaky".  On suggesting moving to #sinister cos
Lycos was "pish" Stu D suggested finding a room on Virgin cos "sinister is a
bit freaky" (he may have a point :))

2.  They recorded two songs for the Tube.  Unfortunately didn't get a chance
to ask him what the other one was or when it may surface (sorry)

3.  Stu D WILL NOT be touring with B&S when they tour again.

4.  In fact there were subtle undertones that he might be leaving the band
to concentrate on Looper and stuff (can I stress this is simply hearsay and
reading between the lines and NOT FACT)

5.  When asked about the new B&S album he said he didn't know a lot about it
(sorry, paraphrasing again, was trying to make some sort of transcript but
it didn't quite work and it's at home).

6.  He likes Dublin (sorry, this is getting a bit desparate, but it wasn't
the most organised of webchats)

My head was spinning by this point, due to the way the chat room updated, so
I bade them farewell.

Unfortunately I didn't pick up enough courage to ask him if he smelt of wee,
but that's because I'm a cowardy cowardy custard (where's Starry when you
need her :)).

Frankly it was a bit of a shambles, but it was a laugh (although it's
prob'ly sent my phone bill through the roof).  If I was a proper
investigative journalist type person (as opposed to drooling fanboy) I
probably could have come up with some inscisive questions (or plucked up
enough courage to ask him if he smelt of wee).

These are the guys who organised it:

http://www.abisti.demon.co.uk/index.htm

I don't know if they're going to put a transcript up, might be quite
difficult as we ended up not using their chat room, but there is a little
piece about Stu D and the book.

Oh, if I can just add my twopenn'orth about The Tube.  I remember my mother
telling me about when the beatles did "all you need is love" on telly for
the first time and they had to sit through something ridiculous like 6 hours
of horrendous rubbish before 5 minutes of the beatles, so maybe we didn't
have it too bad.  And IMHO anyone who wants to see the video should have to
sit through the full 3 hours of mistimed links, vacant faces and Chris
Moyles' mum talking about lo-fi (what I don't understand is why I didn't
just switch off after they had been on, the logical part of my brain was
saying "or course they're not going to be on again" and some other part was
saying "aaahhh, but what if they are" and that part won unanimously, as it
always does).

wow, how much content

xoxo

CarsmileSteve