Sinister: Style and how I have significantly less of such than I would like.

Will Porter porterww at xxx.edu
Sat Nov 27 06:59:07 GMT 1999

Ok, so I'm here to ask the experts:  How much corduroy is too much?
I've been eyeing this corduroy jacket, but I suspect that it is quite the
corduroy faux pas to wear both a corduroy jacket and corduroy pants.  To
top things off, I fear that wearing two different colors in corduroy at
the same time.

And for the record, I believe it is I who am THE new Will, as I pointed
out in my earlier message.

I have just been to see Being John Malkovich, which was delightful.
Incidentally, reading this list makes me want to talk and spell all
British-like, though I suspect that would make me one of the many fakers
defining the century (see how I slipped that in there?  The new Will is
very clever indeed).  The compulsion to say 'arse' and spell things with a
superabundance of the letter 'u' is quite a strong one.  Quite a quandary
indeed.

I have been wating patiently for ye olde pajaro de poesie to perch on my
sill, but no such luck.  Must be because it's not my metaphor at all and
I'm terribly late to that particular party.  On the other hand, I'm quite
glad not to have seen the limerick cockroach around my apartment, so
perhaps I should count the blessings I do have.

In case you hadn't noticed by now, I don't really have anything to say at
all.

Somebody, I think, mentioned something about girls being terribly scary,
and I must agree.  I think they teach girls how to be scary in the part
of the sex-ed movie that they never let the boys watch in school.

It occured to me as I was driving that B&S might be just the sort of thing
that appeals to people who are moderately to terribly lonely, and how that
was a pretty good description of me since moving to Texas, and I began to
wonder if any of you were lonely too.

Talking of the members of the band, it occured to me (as a great many
things do, but thankfully, I forget most) that Belle and Sebastian looks
to be the sort of band that is greater than the sum of its parts and that
though I like Looper and even (gasp!) the Gentle Waves, neither has the
same magic as B&S.

What is a jaffa cake?

Right now, I'm seriously considering not sending this message, because I
suspect it might be as dumb as I think it is.  it's a bit like talking to
girls.

(trying desperately to think of a clever closing)
Will Porter (the new Will)