No subject

Tim Gardner skag_heaven at xxx.com
Mon Nov 29 20:21:18 GMT 1999

Well hello Sinisterites,

Nick Dastoor asked if Comet Gain had covered "Don't Worry Baby". I referred
to my walking encyclopedia of pop, Comet Gain section, at Track & Field on
Friday and apparently they haven't. Which is a pity, really. Especially as I
was looking forward to being able to say "Yes, and I can get you an
autographed copy from..." in an Arthur Daley stylee.

Erica plugged the David Devant & His Spirit Wife gig on the 11th of December
in London. I'd love to go but I think I'm out of town that night. It's
annoying because I haven't seen them for two years and, while they aren't
anything very special on record, when they play live they're a real treat.
Did you know time: Nick from DD&HSW's missus is in this week's Hot Tickets,
very scary she looks too. I nearly dropped my coffee when I saw it. If you
have Hot Tickets then look at the bit in the Clubs section, the Clubbing It
piece on Uncle Bob's Wedding Reception, you'll see what I mean.

David Geraghty and Zoe mentioned Daniel Johnston. Yes, Daniel Johnston. His
first record for years came out a few months ago on Leicester's own Pickled
Egg label, on virgin white vinyl. He also penned "True Love Will Find You In
The End", which was covered by Sonic Boom a few years back. I didn't have to
refer to my walking encyclopedia of pop for that one, just my spoddy
knowledge of all things Spacemen 3-shaped.

The whole Isobel debate seems to have finished for now, which is good. I
wouldn't have wanted to express my opinion either way for fear of ruining
the fantasies of a hundred twee indie boys (and girls) or perpetuating that
"Isobel is perfect" thing. I'll keep my opinions to myself and if anyone
wants to loosen my tongue by plying me with drink then you're all very
welcome to try.

Go on, please try.

It'd make my day, just like the letter I received last year that said "If
you do this for me then I'll suck your cock for a week", or words to that
effect. Seriously, pop stars should remain aloof. It allows them to retain
an element of mystery, keeps them special. Otherwise they just turn into
pathetic showbiz whores, see 'er from Catatonia, Jarvis Cocker from Pulp and
The Sexcapades Of Dan Diego. Equally, pop stars shouldn't be down to earth
and normal. Then you get the Shitophonics who are quite the dullest band
I've ever chanced upon. It's a balance thing.

If I sound like a music fascist then so what, it's my job to be a music
fascist. You don't get to be an elitest indie SNOB overnight y'know. It
takes literally days of training and years of bitterness. Not forgetting a
chip on your shoulder the size of the Jubilee Line extension.

We lay on the bed there, kissing just for crack pipes...

Yours

Tim Gardner BA (Hons) Musical Fascism.