Sinister: I hate annoying people

Todd Herrmann tmh at xxx.edu
Fri Oct 1 02:21:11 BST 1999

I really hate close minded annoying people.  Maybe I'm the one being
closeminded by considering others to be complete idiots but sometimes in
life you just run across those you can't stand and are so completely
opposite from your view of good person, you can't help it.
    First a little background to make this story relevant, I'm a student at
University of Maryland and I work at the desk in the lobby of my dorm
building which is staffed by 1 of the 15 of us 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week.  So I was working the graveyard shift last weekend and it was about
3am on a Saturday night so a there was still a fair amount of people coming
in from a night of drunken revelry.  I was listening to everyone's favorite
band "....Modern Rock Song"  I think and this drunk sorority girl comes up
to me and says she lost her keys in her drunken stupor.  Fine, I give her
the spare key to her room and while I'm doing this she asks me what I'm
listening to.  I tell her Belle and Sebastian and after listening for about
10 seconds she says "You like this music?"  I say "Yeah its some of my
favorite music"  She just gives me the weirdest look like I just said I'm
from another planet and sticks her nose up in the air and makes some noise
like pssh! and laughs and walks away.

I almost cried.  She just managed to dismiss what has brought so much joy
and relaxation to my life, that is the musical experience of Belle and
Sebastian, in a few seconds of ignorant sorority girl bullshit.  I don't
care if she liked my music or not, everybody's entitled to their own opinion
but she didn't have to just totally shun something just because its not
within the realm of her little conformist, sorority world where everybody
looks alike, talks alike, and thinks the same thoughts.  I'm sorry if I
don't listen to the same 5 songs that are deemed most popular and played
over and over again by mainstream radio stations.  No wait I'm not sorry, I
just have to say fuck her and her sorority bullshit.  I'm sorry to take this
out on the list and I hope I didn't offend anybody involved in sororties
that might be on this list, but if you are on this list then you can't be
closeminded so this doesn't apply to you.  My music infringed on her perfect
little world and she used the same ingrained thoughts that everyone else in
her perfect world uses because she couldn't think a thought of her own.  And
I thought college was supposed to be filled with original people with
original thoughts.

A disillusioned, Todd