Sinister: beeeep, tournez la page

Archel1978 at xxx.com Archel1978 at xxx.com
Fri Oct 1 11:56:03 BST 1999

bonjour sinister.

HIGH FIDELITY
no.  nonononono.  i don't identify with the bloke in this book at all.  maybe
because i'm a girl???  i dont know, but i didn't like it much.  although it
seemed to modestly show men as being rather sad and pathetic, it was really
saying 'hey, look at us, we're sad and pathetic, how cute is that?  and you,
women, are more pathetic for needing us.'  okay, maybe it wasn't saying
exactly that, but that vibe was there.  and i am not obsessive about music,
which is another reason why i didn't get it, i suppose.  i mean, i am
obsessive about music i love, in a way, but not in the 'alphabetical
classification of 6000 cds and detailed knowledge of b sides' way.  is this a
gender thing too?

FRANCE
marcus disagreed with me (how dare you) about rap but went on to mention
intimidating french bars, which reminded me of an a level french exchange
when our 'correspondantes' promised to take us to a 'real english pub'.  i
thought this rather undermined the idea of a cultural exchange, but as it
turned out i needn't have worried, because the french idea of an english pub
involved table service, bright light, and certainly nothing approaching a
decent pint of ale.  pubs, and tea, are about the only things i miss when i
go to france.  now i'm sure french listees are about to tell me of wonderful
places to get both tea and a real pub atmosphere, and i will take your word
for it, but i doubt i'll be able to afford to go again until i'm about 30 at
this rate.

THE FRENCH SONG
this is a sample from a song entitled 'le chanson francais' by al boley, who
is not famous now but probably will be soon:

un, deux, trois, quatre,
je passe l'aspirateur avec un petit chat.
cinq, six, sept, huit,
les grandes vacances dans une gite.
neuf, dix, onze, douze,
tes fesses sont grandes comme toulouse.
<chorus>
ou sont les toilettes?  ou sont les toilettes?
la, ou la?  je ne sais pas.

this is what happens when you let would-be comedians who can't speak french
write french songs.  on the other hand, he plays b&s songs on his guitar at
parties, so it's not all bad.

ORGASM SONGS
well, continuing the french theme, does 'je t'aime, moi non plus' by serge
gainsbourg and jane birkin count?  also i seem to remember that 'she's my
heroine' (?) by skunk anansie features skin sounding... excited.

LE WEEKEND
oh no, we're not allowed to say that any more are we?  well, in that case i
hope everyone has a very good 'fin de semaine'.

luv archel xxx

******
Rachel Playforth
archel at iname.com