Sinister: Talk about bum cakes, Campbell's got 'em...

Alasdair Cook MS1996 acook at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 1 16:13:38 BST 1999

Why are people saying there are no aunts in pop? What about Adam?

BJ wrote:

> Viv Anderson. Lindsay Anderson.
> Either way, one question (we're getting ahead of ourselves here, and Belgium
> have to defend a corner) must have been asked with reckless abandon:
>
> 'Tell me, Mrs Anderson, why did you give your son a GIRL'S NAME?'

Oi, that's my grandpa's name! And if he can have it, then it's OK? OK?

Deary me, I was almost threatening there. Who's that laughing at the
back? I can be hard if I want to be. No, I can't actually. In fact I'm
so soft I'm actually going to be used as an airbag in the new Volvo.

 Archel said:

> posting to sinister is very like masturbating.  no, really.  it's healthy in
> moderation, but if you start obsessing about it, always thinking of new and
> exciting ways and places to do it, or are doing it more than once a day, then
> you should start to worry.  it won't make you blind (though as ailsa observed
> on a bus last week, the six listees present at the time were ALL
> short-sighted...) but it might make a mess.

I discovered the other week that I am probably one of the blindest
people on Sinister, with a prescription of -4.00. And I am a complete
wanker, so you're wrong Rachel.

Ailsa moaned:

> My secret spies (by
> which I mean I can't remember who told me this) tell me that all of the
> band except Richard have written stuff for the new album.  I don't
> really know if I like this idea.

No, but I did like that song wot Mick wrote, "Grazing in the grass" I
think it's called.

And continued with:

> I danced to Bon Jovi, Steps and Britney Spears last night.  And I
> enjoyed it.  Just to prove I mean what I say about having no pretensions
> about musical taste at all.  You can ask Alasdair, if he stopped being
> horrified long enough to watch (although he was dancing to some pretty
> cheesy stuff too).  Much more fun than the (cancelled) Arab Strap show
> that we were meant to be at would have been, I imagine.
> Indie-schmindie. P!O!P! is where it's at :)

No, not really much fun at all, in fact much like paying 3 quid to
listen to daytime radio. I don't think I can actually enjoy dancing to a
song unless I like the song, consequently I only danced about 5 times.
Is there something wrong with me? Actually I had a much better time last
night as I only paid 2 quid to hear a quite splendid new band called
Senna. The gig was made all the better by the fact that some kids (quite
possibly their mates) were dancing about like fools at the front. I
hadn't been so impressed by a band for, ooh, 2 weeks.
And I endeared myself to my mate's mate's sister's band by telling them
they were better than Sleater-Kinney, who are their favourites. What I
didn't tell them is that Sleater-Kinney bored me shitless (boom and
indeed boom, Queen Tubs) when I saw them so it didn't take a lot to beat
them.

And P!O!P! is indeed where it's at, but S!H!I!T!E! is what we were
listening to, Ailsa.

I have heard a rumour that Arab Strap cancelled because Aidan's dad
died, so I may be willing to forgive them.

Todd got very upset:

> I almost cried.  She just managed to dismiss what has brought so much joy
> and relaxation to my life, that is the musical experience of Belle and
> Sebastian, in a few seconds of ignorant sorority girl bullshit.  I don't
> care if she liked my music or not, everybody's entitled to their own opinion
> but she didn't have to just totally shun something just because its not
> within the realm of her little conformist, sorority world where everybody
> looks alike, talks alike, and thinks the same thoughts.

Well, she can if she wants to. But what difference does it make, it's
her loss not yours. The overwhelming majority of people hate the music
that most of the people on this list like, it's just something you've
got to get used to. If she enjoys listening to the top 5 then so be it,
it doesn't (or shouldn't) take anything away from your enjoyment of B&S.
Come oan, cheer up! For me? :)

Songs with speaking in them. I really like the end of Suede's 'Stay
Together', in fact it's one of my favourite endings to a song because of
the general chaos, which the speaking enhances. Or something. Also the
lovely Camera Obscura have a song called 'Annawaltzerpose' with speaking
in it. I can't remember what he says but it's something about spinning
round at 100 miles an hour. It's nice, anyway. But not French.

And finally, Nickole "quality is my middle name" wrote:

> i met this boy from the london college of
> printing, and he told me that i had to go to the spreadeagle because once
> he (or someone..) saw graham coxon in here.   he also said that graham was
> very pissed and rude/mean/just generally not nice.  and supposedly some one
> else saw all of blur there.  and me being a silly american, i had to go.
> so anyway...we went, i was horribly dissapointed to not see any world
> famous pop stars.

Funny, I've seen loads of world famous pop stars in that pub. Tim
Hopkins, Amos Memon, Pam Berry, the list is endless. No, wait, it just
ended. Actually there are probably more but I can't think of any right
now.

Oh, and Trouser's book of rock is indeed excellent. Such choice snippets
as:

"One of the main reasons for the success of Fleetwood Mac was the
extreme beauty of it's female members" and

"Mark Knopfler is officially acknowledged as the last great guitar
hero".

Priceless stuff, definitely one to curl up in bed with on the long
winter nights soon to be upon us. The book that is, not Mark Knopfler.