Sinister: come to mummy

Steve Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Fri Oct 1 10:52:30 BST 1999

Tim Hopkins wrote:

> I forget the name of June Carter^Òs mother, but she
> most certainly was in the Carter family. And of

that would be Mother Mabel Carter.  and yes, she did alot for guitar
playing the world over...she was quite a revolutionary in many ways.
check out some of the early stuff.
> What I will say, however, is that my loathing for the
> Smiths is the loathing of a love betrayed. Once upon a

how dare that jerk of a neighbor have called the cops on arthur lee?

> If it^Òs got a sitar on it, I^Òm not bloody well buying
> it. Do I look like some kind of hippy? I^Òll listen to
> someone else^Òs, but only so I can pull faces and tut
> disapprovingly. There is no such thing as a good pop
> record with a sitar on it, anywhere. The only
> appropriate use for a sitar in pop music is breaking
> it in two and sticking the wide end up George
> Harrison^Òs hippy Beatle arse. And shoving the jagged
> end up his nose. In the words of the prophet, never
> trust a hippy.

alright, so sitars aren't big on the list..... however i feel duty bound
to defend indian music stuff in general.  what you're all so mad about
isn't _sitars_ per se its lame sitar playing.  so don't trust hippies
but perhaps people shouldn't be so hasty to poop on indian musical
instruments in general.  there are plenty of bad folksy, strum strum
guitar types but we all know that that doesn't spoil the accoustic
guitar now does it.....tsk.

sk