Sinister: All you sinister people...

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Sat Oct 2 07:27:59 BST 1999

Beatles and Acid

Joy to all my sinister brothers and sisters, especially the ones that are
feeling a bit down . Nick wrote that the LSD didn't start until after 65 for
the Beatles. Pulling out my copy of A Hard Day's Write, an exhaustive book
with the story behind every single beatles song I see it repeats the story
about the dentist friend spiking their coffee...
     However, it has an interesting story about how in the august of 65 they
rented a house and in the company of Peter Fonda and others dropped acid for
the first time, all save Paul that is. Helluva book and I recommend it to
any diehard Beatles fan. Norwegian Wood was brilliant wasn't it? And it was
written before their trip so Nick's still right. Hmmm, never really saw the
Beatles as drug-addled hippies anyways (drug-addled at times yes,
hippies...that's a bit of a loaded term). As to the Beach Boys-Beatles
discussions the groups had alot of mutual respect for each other, hell Mike
Love and the Beatles hung out together when they all went to India with
Donovan and others during their experiments with Eastern philosophy.

College
    I'm fairly lucky I think. I was dismayed when I first got to college and
realized it wasn't the haven for positive, nice, tolerant people I had
dreamed of it as. But I've learned that the sad fact is that we're all
human. Even those poor close-minded bastards I have to deal with everyday.
At least I'm blessed with a college radio station that plays a bit of B&S.
Okay, it plays alot of b.s. too, but on the whole it's a rather nice station
where one can hear all sorts of cool stuff instead of blocks of mass
marketed *alterna-teen* rock or pop metal. Which I must say I listen to and
enjoy a bit of that too, I just want a world where I can hear music as
eclectic as my tastes. Indie (whatever that is) and Mainstream(whatever that
is).

Hippies & Sitars
    The hippies are taking a bit of a knocking eh? I'll admit some respect
for what the hippies accomplished (turning american on it's ear for a start)
but I suppose in retrospect if they'd had had their shit together they'd of
made a bit more of an impact in history instead of just ending as a bit of a
joke. Favorite description of what happened to the movement : "We were gonna
change the world, free everyone's mind, and overturn a facist establishment.
What happened? We all just kinda got high and forgot" Sitars can be a bit
much can't they? I won't say I hate the things, but George really should
have left it at home for a few of those songs.

Music
    Judging someone by their music makes about as much sense as judging by
their clothes. I'm sure most of the list would hate half of what I consider
my favorite bands. However, I see Beth Orton gets mentioned alot on the
list. She *is* one of my current favorites, what a talent. Anyone else think
K's Choice is brilliant(or did I just ostricize myself there?)?

Happy Happy, Joy Joy
    To all you wonderful sinister people, cheer up boys and girls. Don't let
the bastards get you down because that's when they win.Nuts, it's two thirty
in the morning and I've been rambling a bit,time to crash.
Luck all!-Jim

"We're all out there somewhere, waiting to happen"- Jeff Noon