Sinister: gothic archies

piezoelectric unit editor at xxx.uk
Sat Oct 2 22:59:45 BST 1999

people, hello. i had a look around the room yesterday and noticed a little
pointed black shoe peeking from beneath the table that holds my printers.
'hello' i said, 'those look like gothic pointy boots unless i am very much
mistaken... that must be the Duke, back from his travels on the goth trail
(this is a less well known varitaion on the hippy trail of yore; stephin
merritt is a bit of an expert on it, as is mr Peter Murphy.)'. And it was. I
told him about what Miller had been saying (see below)...

>Surely Exeter City's new DUKE STAND is a tribute not only to the Duke
>himself, but also a tribute to the combative stance he takes on issues
>such as Manda Rin's refusal to do swaps, as well as a sideways nod to
>the Dexy's Midnight Runners classic DANCE STANCE.

and he said 'yeah. he's spot on, as ever. never misses a trick does that man
who dwells in the wilds of Spain. Did i ever tell you about my adventures in
the backstreets of Verona?' but i stopped listening. I told him later i'd
already read Patrice Chaplin.

We both agreed, however, that taking stands was an Important Thing To Do. HE
started expanding this, wittering on about being 16 and all that, but i told
him everyone had heard it all before and that such talk was so '97. He just
sulked.

Miller also pulled out the caps and writ loud:

>I SEE A SITAR AND I WANT TO PAINT IT BLACK

The Duke agreed with that wholeheartedly, adding that as he'd been wandering
through the Gothic Archies of NYC, he'd actually spotted a sitar painted
black, which was kind of spooky. Said it was being played by a tiny goat,
but i think that's just another example of how drugs are not very good for
you. KIDS! just say no. Especially if it's a strange looking bloke in
black... Me, i say fuck the sitar. Hippie shit... Once again, I'm with
Hopkins on this one.

Went to a funny disco party last night with the Duke and his Duchess. The
venue was populated with a variety of interesting characters, one of whom i
hadn't seen in three years and who asked me what i'd been listening to. i
ummed and ahed and eventually said 'The Magnetic Fields. Exclusively.' She
looked confused and said she liked Belle & Sebastian. i told her the Duke
knew all about them and could bore her to tears talking about them, and she
politely withdrew from the room. Understandable, if a little rude, i
thought.

The disco was hilarious. The Duke and Duchess shook their booty to The
Scream, because as the Duchess later said 'we met under Bobby's gaze...'.
Strange people. The DJ also played two WHO! songs, although they were quite
dull ones about generations and pinballs and no-one danced. Every song that
was played was a cliche, it was hilarious. The three of us played at guess
what comes next and ticked off the tunes as they were played. Pils was a
quid a bottle, which made the game a lot more exciting. They played the
Manics a couple of times and the Duke embarrassed himself by telling some
attractive young chap that he used to 'hang with Richey'. The young lad
asked 'Richey who?' and we all laughed at him. the Duke i mean, not the lad,
who was way too good looking to laugh at.

i hate young people, they look far too good. Grrr.

the Duke is still around tonite actually, and he's drinking beer before we
all go out again to another party. this one will have lots of air hostesses
and pilots at it, and the Duke intends to get very drunk and tell everyone
about his gothic exploits as DJ with the Rose of Avalanche.

I am dead impressed because this mail actually mentioned B&S.

chin up.

Piezo Unit 3b.